BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't want to spend $600 on a GPS for my RT when I can get an auto GPS for so much cheaper. I wonder what models others have had good luck with. I know the unit itself wouldnt be waterproof, but think I could find a case that is, or a baggie? What about vibrations on the RT? Would this cause problems? Or should I scrap this idea and just save longer for a motorcycle GPS. (I do want one that I could also use in my car)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
One of the NY guys that comes down to the Smokies every year, Harold, has had a Nuvi mounted on his LT for the last three years. It has done just fine and has even gotten wet. Cheap enough you can get a new one if it craps out. Give him a PM @ Harold-NY.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
johnhunter44 said:
I just don't want to spend $600 on a GPS for my RT when I can get an auto GPS for so much cheaper. I wonder what models others have had good luck with. I know the unit itself wouldnt be waterproof, but think I could find a case that is, or a baggie? What about vibrations on the RT? Would this cause problems? Or should I scrap this idea and just save longer for a motorcycle GPS. (I do want one that I could also use in my car)
These may work for you. I've used in rain and cold in motorcycling, hiking and many forms of travel. Water proof and durable for sure.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/garmin-nuvi-550-gps-navigation-system-for-motorcycles

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
jzeiler said:
One of the NY guys that comes down to the Smokies every year, Harold, has had a Nuvi mounted on his LT for the last three years. It has done just fine and has even gotten wet. Cheap enough you can get a new one if it craps out. Give him a PM @ Harold-NY.
This sounds pretty good. John, would you happen to know which model it is?
Also, if it happened to get stolen, one wouldn't be out near as much. I'd also attempt to factor in the chances of being caught in the rain. I also suggest getting a fairly recent one, if not new. I bought a model no longer supported (without realizing it), so now I'll be SOL if/when it decides to take a dump on me. That's something one doesn't want to find out the hard way after spending several hundred dollars for the unit. :eek:

·
Registered
616 Posts
+1 on the Nuvi 550...be aware that there's no Bluetooth.

When looking at less expensive alternatives to the Zumos, be sure and note if the units will allow custom routes...not all of the cheaper ones do (assuming that feature is important to you).

Another approach you might want to consider is using one of the smart phone-based apps. I use GPS Drive, have used the TomTom app with good success, and of course Apple is (in)famous for their new app. I've heard great things about Navigon, although I have not used it myself.

None of these allow custom routes that I am aware of.

If you think about going the phone route, be sure to consider:
- power - GPS apps will drain your battery really fast
- heat - running the GPS apps constantly will make the phone heat up, which can be an issue if you're trying to put in something waterproof.

I made several long trips with my iPhone mounted on a RAM mount as my GPS device, and it worked reasonably well. I had to keep the display turned off during long stretches with no turns to keep the power drain manageable (even when plugged in, it would gradually discharge the battery with the display on all the time). And I would just stash it in the trunk if it started raining.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
I'll be installing a Nuvi 50 on my LT next weekend. I ordered a waterproof case for it for $13. I'm hoping to ride to Michigan for Christmas so hopefully I'll know soon how I like it. I'll still have my Street Pilot 2720 on for a backup.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have had a nuvi 2360 LMT for a few years, on my LT,
get a waterproof case from amazon to fit it and it will work fine. never had any issues with it getting wet etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been using a Nuvi 765T for 4 years. This unit has the same functionality as the Zumo 660 but is not waterproof. Over the years it has been through rain storms (a zip lock makes if waterproof), off roading (vibrating the crap out of it), and has accepted custom routes to navigate me throughout the Southeast. However, these are no longer made and hard to come by. A full featured Nuvi may be an alternative.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nuvi50. Had it for a year. Perfect-all the necessary stuff. Took it to the UK and France last year-bought EuroMaps on Ebay for $64. Never got lost. Take it on trips-rental cars+++

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
If at all possible,, please provide pictures to include the mount used. These all sound like great alternatives to the basic mc GPS units.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm using one of the Garmin 2730 Streetpilots, which I like for the XM radio. I wish other manufacturers would incorporate this capability into their boxes. :(

·
Registered
820 Posts
In 2005 I had a BMW GPS on order for my R1200C. It did not arrive before I was leaving for Canada. I found a TomTom on Craig'sList for $100.00 and bought a Ram mount for it. I figured it would last my trip (maybe) and then I would replace it. I used it for 3 years, left it on the bike most of the time, took it off or placed a sandwich bag over it if it rained. It lasted about 25,000 miles and worked fine until it was stolen.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
All you guys have had better luck than me. I had a Nuvi 360 on my bike for a couple months and the vibration killed it. Wasn't under warranty, because not rated for a bike. Garmin was nice though, and swapped it out - I then went StreetPilot 2730, and use the Nuvi in my car..

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
petewill said:
Garmi Nuvi 500 or 550 The only waterproof nuvi's
Yep, been running a Nuvi 500 (Oz version) for the past couple of years. Motorcycle rated, waterproof.. just no audio out jack, but there's an easy enough hack for that if you need audio.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nuvi 550 ,waterproof and vibration proof.Swap mine out between motorcycle and snowmobile .Held up to abuse for about 3 years so far.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just bought a cheap Tom Tom with inexpensive mount that goes to my mirror mount hole ;or should say where them holes are on your handle bars;with a water proof case that came with mount.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bought a Nuvi 760 41/2 years ago. Hallzee warned me that it wouldn't last very long, which bummed me out. Recently it started giving me some trouble, and shopping for a new unit. The Nuvi's now don't have a 3.5 output to connect with the com system, so I'm forced to look at Zumo's. Santa, are you listening?

·
Registered
657 Posts
patrick2000 said:
Is it possible to turn off the Nuvi's "auto-recalculate"? I don't like units that decide to recalculate my route when I go off it.....I often do that, then select "recalculate" from the menu when I'm ready to go back to the orginal remaining route.

Other than that , the Nuvi 550 looks good....but so does my wife's Nuvi 1490t. I have been using Garmin StreetPilots 26/27/20xx for years, along with a 2006 BMW Nav III GPS that is great but it's screen might be too small once I change it's mount to the dash on my R1200RT. It had been on the steering head, low, but I want a larger tankbag and need to move it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts