BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been posting lately about my adventures in final drive failures and successes....Thank you Bennett very much for the rebuilt drive! Today I took the old drive and pulled the bearing off the crown gear, prolly shoulda got pictures of that. I put the gear in a metal bowl of ice, and heated the bearing with my propane torch, used a couple of flat bars, and popped that sucker right off. Anyway, enough of the braggadocio (sp?). The reason for my post is that I measured the shims for the bearing, and it looks to me like they are a .2mm and a .9mm. I looked on line at the A&S cycles BMW OEM catalog, and the shims are listed in sizes like 0,400mm or 1,200mm...Not sure how the Germans do it, but here in 'merica, I'd call that 4 hundred and 12 hundred millimeters. Do they actually mean .4mm and 1.2mm? I mean that would make sense right? if you put a 1200mm shim in there, the drive would be sticking out past your sidecar...Aaaaanyway, from the post I have hunted down, it would seem that 1.1mm of shim seems a little excessive, in Charley Vt's video, the drive he rebuilds used a .40mm shim. Guess I'll take a trip to Harbor freight and get a dial micrometer and a stand and try shimming it myself..I mean if it was overshimmed by .50, it still lasted 43K miles...how badly could I screw it up? Don't answer that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's common for european locales to use comma in place of decimal point, and vice versa.

thus 0,400 mm = 0.4 mm and 1,200 mm = 1.2 mm.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Rule of thumb for my "field repair" where you don't measure at all: If there is a thick and a thin shim then throw away the thin one and just replace the thick. But it is always better to measure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys, like I said, harbor freight for a dial micrometer and a stand, I'm gonna give it a whack...I don't guess I could mess it up any worse than BMW:rotf:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts