BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 R1200 RT. My Beemer will soon need tires and I am looking for an alternate to the local BMW shop. Frankly, a little under $500 for two tires seems overpriced. Does anyone know of a shop that can change the tires if I bring them, the wheels and tires, into their shop? The local BMW shop will up-charge me $80, in labor charges if I buy the tires separately.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If that includes balance work it is a fair price for the dealer to do this work. They bill hourly work on tires the same as working on the bike. It takes a tech to do the work the same as if doing other work on a bike. If you took the bike in it would be two hours labor. There are no tire and oil change guys in the shop. You can find good prices on tires via American Motorcycle tires or Rocky mountain ATV, there are others of course. An independent shop generally will not have the ability to balance the rear wheel of a BMW bike. I have given rear wheel balance adapters to a couple of local shops so they can do this work. I also change tires for folks for $40. Soon to go to 50 as my costs are rising too. Call around.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Check your local Cycle Gear. They charge $25 each when you purchase your tires from them.

Be sure call or visit in person. My local Cycle Gear used to install while I waited. (It sure didn’t hurt there was a taco shop a few doors down. YUM!!) They got busy (or understaffed) and required the wheel to be left overnight. Making two trips vs. having the dealer do it became too much of a hassle for me.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Cycle Gear will now charge you $50 per tire if purchased elsewhere. It used to be $30 about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I live an hour north of Seattle. You want tires installed, you order them on the web, drop ship them to me with your name on the address and it is 40$, 50$ if tube type, no dirt bikes. Contact me first for details. beech
Bike up on the lift, remove, change, re install with balance done, look over bike. Some bikes I don't work on because of lack of knowledge so check with me, you get the picture, BMW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2006 R1200 RT. My Beemer will soon need tires and I am looking for an alternate to the local BMW shop. Frankly, a little under $500 for two tires seems overpriced. Does anyone know of a shop that can change the tires if I bring them, the wheels and tires, into their shop? The local BMW shop will up-charge me $80, in labor charges if I buy the tires separately.
I just had my tires done by Mr. Beemer. Great service, done quickly and I absolutely trust he knows what he is doing. When you only have two tires, you need them installed correctly. He is in the Raleigh area and has decades of experience. https://www.mrbeemernc.com.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have known Mr. Beemer since 2003 and I will say he knows what he is doing and he is honest. Two traits hard to find in the same person.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr. Beemer changed both tires; to include balancing. He also recommended an online store that had the best prices I could find for the tires. All in all, as opposed to having the work done at the dealer, I saved the price of the tires. Free tires! (well not really, but the savings still feel great)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Call around to different bike shops. My local BMW shop charged me $20/tire cash when I had my FJR and S10 and I waited while they changed them. The local Yamaha shop wanted $50/tire and I had to make an appointment or drop them off for the day-they are no longer in business. It isn't brand unique, but I need to know I can trust the work and care so they are not scratching up the rims in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts