BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the Nolan NCOM 103 helmet and I want to connect it to my Baehr K1200LT Comm system with the 5 pin (DIN?) connector. I've been to the Nolan and J&M websites among others. I've searched here and the threads I've read end up with contacting Raffy or Cyclegadgets followed by an "all solved" post. Neither of those options exist anymore so I'm hoping someone can help. Also, local shops seem to know less than I do about this, including the BMW dealers.

I'm not interested in Bluetooth so I know I need the basic comm kit. I don't know which cords to order after that. I assume the same setup will work for the pillon. Hopefully someone has part numbers and sources.

I've got the Fimez FM Baehr Silencer II. It's works great but it's aging and I can't get parts like screens for it anymore.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Last time I contacted J&M they no longer sold the lower cables for the Baehr, but had some in stock or a source and they gave me a contact but that was some time ago. Check with their coustomer service, they may know someone that may still have the cables. Wait if its the NCOM and not the J&M headsets in the Nolan 103 its even worse. I think the days are numberd for my trusty Baehr. :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can find cables for the BMW K1200LT com system to the NCOM. Does anyone know if the BMW Com system has the same 5 pin DIN connector that the Baehr has? Or if it is wired the same? The picture on the website doesn't reveal much but it looks close.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
912 Posts
When i bought my N103 while out at the BMW Int. shindig in Oregon, I purchased a cord to connect it to the BMW Audio plug under the left handlebar.

Being determined to spend as much money as possible, I trashed it and had to order another one from the Nolan Dealer about 3 months later. The cord that Nolan made up for the K1200 is a six pin connector on the BMW side - I am pretty sure all BMW comm. system cables are six pins. The N103 side is their standard 4 connector audio plug.

I do like the N103 Bluetooth. I ride mostly two-up, and wireless cuts out a lot of BS for my wife. The sound quality is great. Just about everything works with it, including two-way phone calls. The only thing that does not work is the Nav III bluetooth. I can connect, and the driver gets the audio, but the passenger only gets the alert tone, which in busy sections or when the NAV III gets lost, is just one annoying beep after another.

The NAV III works fine over the BMW Comm. system, as does FM. We usually plug the iPod into the N103 helmet on trips when we don't need the Comm. signal, as the audio is much better through the Nolan helmet than when passed through the BMW Comm. System AUX plug. You do need to have the Nolan Audio cable, because you need that four conductor plug for the helmet side.

I know this does not exactly answer your question about the Baehr connection. But you might want to contact Nolan or Google their site, etc. They have other cables, including ones for Gold Wings. One of them might work with the Baehr system.

I like the N103 internal sun shade - drop down green tinted lenses. Much cooler in the summer with the visor up. I like the wirelessness, I like the day long battery charge. The audio quality is good. The helmet itself is just plain noisy, and I suspect if I did not have the LT's windshield to cut down on the airflow, I would be in the Shuberth market.

Good luck on your search for a cable.

BTW, the original BMW cable was a victim of the Wireless freedom. Getting on and getting off the bike is much faster, even with the iPod in my jacket pocket. But I once forgot to disconnect the Nolan - BMW cable and walked away from the bike. By the time the cable reminded me I was an idiot, the wires and the plug had parted company somewhere inside the rubber coating. Sometimes you do have to pay for education. Nolan does not have J&M's dedication to quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Super Commuter,

You might try WhiteHorse Gear. I just saw a note on their site that they have cables to connect the N103 to many bke systems. It requires buying helmet control unit but it appears your choices are limited. It would be worth a phone call, they have always been very helpful when I contacted them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts