BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the brake pads on my 99 k1200lt with ebc hh sintered pads. I replaced them the same way I always do on my cars, coated the backs with a stop squeak spray and for some reason I still get alot of screaching from them. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do to correct this? Have the same pads on my Vulcan 2000 and haven't had a single issue with them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
If you still have the stock rear rotor that is the source of the noise. I tried organic and sintered pads and until I tossed the stock rotor for an EBC rotor I had noise.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I got new BMW brake pads and it stooped school bus brakes.
Got a new BMW Rotor and it stopped the cow bell.
After a second set of BMW pads still no squeal.
YMMV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the stock rotor for the EBC one on the rear, still have the stock on the front. took the rears apart and re coated them, and it seems to be working. The fronts are still loud after re coating them a second time. They work, just a little embarrassing at the red lights!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I did this procedure when I installed EBD HH pads on the rear (stock rotor) & it quieted them right down.

Instructions here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

No sticky stuff..... no grease.
Sounds good, only where the heck can this be accomplished? I know of nowhere that I can accelerate to 60 and decelerate rinse and repeat without ending up with a cage up my rump or seriously breaking the speed limit. Maybe it's different in other states, but in AZ if there is a road that gets virtually no traffic, has multiple lanes in the event of any traffic, and few lights / intersections, the speed limit is usually about 35 - #@&! speed traps :cussing:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sounds good, only where the heck can this be accomplished? I know of nowhere that I can accelerate to 60 and decelerate rinse and repeat without ending up with a cage up my rump or seriously breaking the speed limit. Maybe it's different in other states, but in AZ if there is a road that gets virtually no traffic, has multiple lanes in the event of any traffic, and few lights / intersections, the speed limit is usually about 35 - #@&! speed traps :cussing:
It called country. Get out there and enjoy the view.:bmw::bmw::bmw:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bedded in my brakes in an industrial area, at night, on the way home from work. Rotors turned a nice grey color.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It called country. Get out there and enjoy the view.:bmw::bmw::bmw:
I guess I didn't adequately express my frustration that the only roads out in the outskirts capable of supporting this kind of activity around here are all speed traps. I think heat makes people stupid, this state is covered with 2-lane, narrow, poorly maintained roads that are 65mph and busy as heck, and 4-lane wide roads made of glass-smooth asphalt that nobody drives on with speed limits of 35 - 45 mph.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
You don't even need to get out of first gear to get to 60 mph (red line at 62). Just tell the cop your throttle stuck and you had no idea how fast you were going in first gear. Too busy trying to get it under control.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anti-seize compound on the metal backs of the pads and where the pad backs contact the retainer pins may help as well.
I agree, I started using this method 25 years ago on Honda cars that just would not stop squealing after they outlawed asbestos. It also helped Mercedes that were loud. From then on I used it on everything.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just a thought. I always use Copper Paste to lightly coat the back of new pads and never had a squawk. A small tube, while expensive will last a lifetime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts