BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 2004 R1150RT today with 26,000 miles. I noted every time I hit the front brakes, there was a loud electronic or pump sound that only ceased when I released the brake lever. I had a helmet on and could still here it. It was somewhat less noisy when riding without pulling the brake lever. Is this normal? Indicative of a pending failure? My 2013 makes no such sound.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I test drove a 2004 R1150RT today with 26,000 miles. I noted every time I hit the front brakes, there was a loud electronic or pump sound that only ceased when I released the brake lever. I had a helmet on and could still here it. It was somewhat less noisy when riding without pulling the brake lever. Is this normal? Indicative of a pending failure? My 2013 makes no such sound.
your 2004 has "servo assisted" brakes. The sound you're hearing is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like he said, normal. I had an 04 RT and had no issues with the servo system over around 35K miles. They are very strong but the ABS is a bit primitive. Take a look at the fluid before you make a decision. If it is clean and clear the bike was probably maintained well with fluid flushes. Most failures of this system are from neglecting the fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts