BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I have a 2002 K1200LT. Seems like I am hearing noise when turning into a corner (either direction). Thought it might be a rear bearing, but the noise stops when I apply the rear brake. I have new brakes installed and they are tight. Sounds very faint - e.g. a mild thumping that makes me think it could be a beraring.

Curious if this could be something else, like wind noise, etc?

·
Registered
338 Posts
How many miles are on those Metzlers? After 7k they get really loud when leaning.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's most likely your tires.. And it's normal..Sort of...

Run your hand along the tread on the front tire.. You'll feel why it's getting noisy...

It's normal cause the LT is a big bike and hard on tires.. 42F 48R will help delay it as long as possible...

But, Metzlers are the worst because the compound is harder...

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Snip

JPSpen said:
But, Metzlers are the worst because the compound is harder...

John
End snip

And the best. At least they still have tread on them at 7K miles.

Loren

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
And the best. At least they still have tread on them at 7K miles.
Gotta give you that.. They;are the longest lasting... The Best ? Well, It depends on what kind of riding you're going to be doing. :)

If you're going to be riding with the South Central boys,:wave You better get the ones with better grip...

If you're just laziing around. The Metzlers are tops..

John

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Its the tires. I know some dealers deflate them to 40/40. Pump them up to 42 front 48 rear to post pone the noise for as many miles as possible. The noise is normal if they've been under inflated or after a certain millage. Just turn up the radio. Keep the next set inflated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much, guys. The bike was actually sitting in a garage for several years without being ridden. Don't see any tire rot - only have 3500 miles on the tires - they look great. It makes sense that leaning into a corner would cause the noise. I am fine with the noise as long as it isn't something mechanical. Thanks again, folks.

Paul

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Metzelers - longest lasting IMO, but noisy after a while. Not the best grip.

We could let this turn into a tire debate... but no need to hijack the thread.. ;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Rumble noise caused me to pull over and check bike over first time it happened in 2003.
Do not remember mileage but front tire edges were cupped.
I've run 44 frt - 48 rear ever since and no issues or lack of traction.
Only fix is a new tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to agree... I bought an 02 LT back in May of 2010. That's the first thing I noticed when I took her out for my first ride. I took her in for a service look over, and explained the noise and sure enough, after a new set of Metzlers....... Noise gone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One more chiming in, a new set of tires brings on a wonderful quiet, for a while. New rubber is a special treat. If I had unlimited financial resources, I would never run a tire past 50%.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Agree with the cause previously identified. . .
On my way to the Dragon from the RA Rally at the Biltmore Estate. I pulled over and asked for help to spin the front wheel to check for a bad bearing. No noise that way.

Rode Deal's Gap and asked some questions back at the Rally and felt the tires. Yup starting to wear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow, had mine for it's first ride after replacing front fairing bracket and rear subframe among other bits.... crazy bearing type noise when turning left or right on the hwy. Freaked me out a bit. Metzlers on it. Front is brand new. Rear is badly worn in centre.

Gotta get a new rear tire! :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
PaulDickson_VA said:
Thanks very much, guys. The bike was actually sitting in a garage for several years without being ridden. Don't see any tire rot - only have 3500 miles on the tires - they look great. It makes sense that leaning into a corner would cause the noise. I am fine with the noise as long as it isn't something mechanical. Thanks again, folks.

Paul
Paul just as a safety item look at the date code on the tires. When I bought my 2000 LT last May the front tire was original and twelve years old. I had the previous owner change the tires on my nickel before riding it from New York to Texas. I'm rather picky about tires and their age.

Safe riding, Robert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts