BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help..... :(

I rode my bike from NJ to Ga. overnight 16 hour run.
As I was riding I notice that when I would roll little off center to change lanes or in the normal course of riding I would hear a rumbling sound low on the bike. It olny happens on the left side roll. What it could be is hard to tell. When I stop I look to my rotors front and back but they were all tight. Rim's also gave no indication that anything was wrong.

Thank everyone for any and all help

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Sounds like it could be your tires. What brand & how many miles do you have on the tires?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for help

The tires are Metzeler Me880 front and back. Front is new, rear I don't know but has good treads on it. The bike is a K1200LT and has 25761 miles

Thanks

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ervin said:
Thanks for help

The tires are Metzeler Me880 front and back. Front is new, rear I don't know but has good treads on it. The bike is a K1200LT and has 25761 miles

Thanks
Metzelers are noisy tires - that is the problem. Near the end of their lifespan, the front will get very noisy, with a vibration you can feel in the turns (you'll think a wheel bearing may be going out).

Even though you say the front is "new" this is a problem that can manifest quickly, especially with low tire pressure.

I just turn up the music... Run 42 PSI front, anf 48 PSI reat, and that'll help prolong the good life, and prevent the scalloping that causes the noise. I've had several sets.

FWIW, I am taking the suggestion of a friend, and having some Avon Storm 2 Ultra's put on this Saturday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guy's

I' ll look into the tires right now I can't do much just take it easy going home to NJ.
When I get home I'll see about working the tires into my budget.

Again thank's

·
Registered
607 Posts
Run your hand over the rounded edge of the tires to see if you can feel the wavy "cupping".

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as the tire appears to be sound. It is just a characteristic of the tire...

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
My ME880's make noise from day one & they only get louder with wear. That is why I only run a front ME880 & a rear BT020. It cuts the noise by 2/3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts