BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 K1200LT and while riding yesterday I noticed a noise in the rear wheel. The further I went the louder it got. I don't see any oil leakage on the rear drive so I don't think I have a bearing issue. I put it on the center stand and there is no slack in the rear bearing. Is it possible that the rotor has come loose and is rubbing the caliper? It seems to be scrapping only on one side. I replaced the rear pads about 1 month ago. I can see on the inside of the rotor where it is contacting the caliper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems there might be a correlation between the pads a month ago and the noise. What's the thickness of the pad on the side where the caliper is rubbing the rotor?

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
Check the caliper bolts. The bolt with the shoulder goes to the rear. The bolt with a washer & no shoulder goes to the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out to take a look at the caliper bolts and there was grease on the rim so it looks like the bearing is gone. I thought I had one of the good ones but looks like I am a 3%er....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ctraylor said:
Just went out to take a look at the caliper bolts and there was grease on the rim so it looks like the bearing is gone. I thought I had one of the good ones but looks like I am a 3%er....

Side Note: These forums are crawled and indexed by the likes of google et al. If you do not want your telephone number out there in the wild, you might consider changing your signature to not include it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found these bearings on the internet for $3.40 each but the only catch is that you have to order 100 bearings. The specs were the same, even had same part number.

*** 61917.C3.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Curtis have tried calling CB International - 1 800 229 2327 - see if they stock them in North America

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
gary45 said:
Curtis have tried calling CB International - 1 800 229 2327 - see if they stock them in North America
I'm not sure if the above is intended to be a statement or a question, but since my name has been brought up, I'll add my thoughts to this thread:

Over the years, several folks have done a pretty good job researching sources other than BMW for the K1200LT final drive crownwheel bearing . These included folks like David S. and other mechanical engineers who know the bearing industry. I don't recall anyone posting that they had found an alternate source for the bearing. Some folks found, and actually purchased what they thought was the same bearing, only to find it was close, but not exactly the bearing.

The BMW dealerships that I had been dealing with have been charging about $84 for the bearing; it seems there has been a recent price increase to approximately $88. (Note: there was a time when the "new" 17 ball French made bearing was in the supply system and it cost in the range of $130.)

I offer every encouragement to anyone who wants to try and find another, cheaper source for the crownwheel bearing, but I caution folks that it has been looked for in the past without success.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Curtis, yes, *** German manufactured (not all are), 61917 C3, 19 balls, $100AU, got my own pet 1 sitting in my tool box. My advice on this is to only buy SKF or ***, and of course, the clearance suffix must be C3. Beware of cheap deals or offerings on bearings that are etched on the side. There is a huge bearing counterfeit world out there, we regularly receive warnings about this in my industry.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A few years ago on one of the Japanese bike forums one member was warning the rest to buy from the dealer because the bike manufacturer bought bearings and then machined them a bit so if you picked them up anywhere else they would not fit - other than the tech part about the innards there is only ID, OD and width

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.