BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has also K1200LT (2009, 50.000km). He has a problem with noise in exhaust. We think something is broken inside exhaust. When he gives more throttle, noise is more loudy. Some say that this is typically for K1200 LT.

Does anybody know what is wrong?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
based on your excellent description of the fault, the engine is running that will make a noise. ok that was a joke

it could be cracked engine pipes where they go into the head, it could be a broken muffler support bracket under the gear box, it could be normal, mine growls a bit if you rev it up and has done it since new, not a problem when cruising.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the exhaust is not a serviceable component, so I guess your friend is up for a new exhaust, a leaking header pipe at the flange will create noise he needs to check them thoroughly for cracks

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Without actually hearing your noise, I am going to say I have the same issue. Under certain RPM during acceleration, I get a rattle that I can't get rid of. Every nut and bolt is tight and the exhaust has no broken welds on the outside. The only thing I can think is something inside has broken lose and is rattling. At some point, I will find an exhaust from someone parting out a bike and change it if the price is good enough but it causes no issues with my engine running properly so for now, I just live with it and ride.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Check the tightness of the header connections to the engine block under the bike. They can come loose. The correct torque is 22Nm. There may be a crack in the area where the 4 header pipes connect to the main exhaust body.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I had my exhaust cracks welded, we found something was rattling around inside the catalytic coverter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The "honeycomb" catalytic converter insides, is probably cracked. I have an exhaust if you need one. I'll take $75 plus shipping, if you want it. Or local pick up if you're near kc. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If you know a welder, cut the silencer open where it does not show and remove the ceramic catalyst section and anything that is lose. Seal it back up. Stainless TIG welding.

·
Registered
170 Posts
might be a converter coming apart internally if it rattles
happens on 4 wheel stuff all the time
take a look underneath and see if the cat's been banged from bottoming out or high centered

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this will help to someone...

Two screws were broken at the start of exhaust from cylinder. That is reason of noise!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Maybe this will help to someone...

Two screws were broken at the start of exhaust from cylinder. That is reason of noise!
Well, that would do it. Hope you can replace them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts