BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from STC. Spent the week riding and headed home today to West Palm Beach, FL. Stopped at my brother's place in Charleston, SC area and noticed a noise coming from the transmission / clutch area.

Troubleshooting so far:
Checked the final drive, no play / feels smooth.
Checked the transmission fluid: topped up / 2000 miles since last fluid change.
Sitting stopped with clutch in: no noise, engine smooth.
Coasting with clutch in: smooth, no noise.
When riding and engaging clutch noise appears.

Put up on center stand:

Engine Running
In neutral: no noise with clutch engaged.
In gear: noise appears - using a long screw driver to pin point the noise the transmission sounds quiet and the noise sounds like it is in the clutch area. Almost a grinding sound though.

Engine Stopped
In gear Clutch disengaged, turning back wheel, quiet smooth.

I have close to another 1000 miles to go to get home.

Any thoughts? Help? Should I ride it or get it trailered home?

It was a great week at Iron Horse. Rode about 2300 miles since last Saturday. This is not a good way to finish the trip.

Thanks
Norm

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Sorry Norm, that is a new one on me. If you are only hearing a noise and not feeling any driveline vibration, I would continue on but monitor it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am startng to feel that the transmision bearing is the issue. I find that while riding it is worse while excellerating ordecellerating and almost negligable when up to speed. Now I need to find the confidence to tear it down. But first I need to get her home."

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike is finally coming back together thanks to my brother Rick. The issue ended up being the main bearing in the transmission I have this horrible guilt for having to leave it at Rick's after the breakdown and leaving this major tear down for him. But I am grateful that he has done this for me, more than I can say.

A huge Thank You also to John Zeiler for all the help, support, and guidance he gave with the tear down and reassembly and ESPECIALLY with the transmission rebuild. Not sure where we would be right now and I hope we didn't use up our "new friend" favors all at once but I owe you BIG time John. Your title of Wrencher Extraordinaire is no exaggeration. I think you could add Wizzard as well. :cool: you know how much you were there for us. Thanks more than I express in this post.

I leave this coming Saturday to fly back to Rick's house in the N. Charleston area and he should have the bike completely back together. I hope we can get in some riding together before I have to leave to business in the Columbia area. By that next Friday I should be on the road finally bringing the big girl home.

My apologies to Rick for him completely losing interest in actually owning a BMW after his first experience with the LT being to have to do a transmission removal. I think he has hopes of converting me to a HD Ultra Classic after this. But I love my LT. :)

But can't thank Rick enough on this one. Rick, you are the MAN (even if you do prefer HD) I'll be paying this favor off for a long time to come.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice post Norm...
You must have some good "motorcyclema" (thats like Karma, only "our" kind) I think it is for me, one the the best features of this site, that people are so willing to help each other out, I mean really go the extra mile..And you have a great brother that dug in and saved your LT "bacon". Good luck in the future, and stick with the LT. The others just don't realize what they are missing!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts