BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 K1200LT. I noticed right after I bought it last summer, that there is a loud hum or groan harmonic type noise at highway speed whenever I lean into a turn, which seems to get louder the faster I travel or more I lean. I spoke with the mechanic at the BMW dealer where I bought the bike. He is also a KLT rider. He told me that it is a design issue with all KLT's that is somehow related to the tires. It is quieter with newer tires but all bikes, regardless of the brand or tires used, make this noise. I am reluctant to accept this explanation. Does anyone else notice a similar noise?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The LT is also infamous for the "K-Whine" which occurs at around 4,000RPM to 4,200RPM in 5th gear. Its a little unsettling at first, but no big deal after that. It can be somewhat endearing. :bmw:

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I would wager you have a Metzler front tire.

If so it I'd cupped and it howls in the turns - if you have not hit the wear bars you can either live with the howl until the tire wears out or replace it with either a new one and keep the tire pressure up 48 PSI or switch brands that don't howl that much - Bridgestones or Avons as they wear out.

All tires on an LT will cup depending upon tire pressure, the roads you ride and your riding style ans skills!! Many here believe heavy braking in the corners is the leading cause of tire cupping along with low tire pressures.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, tyres (tires) for sure. My Bridgestone BT020 is about shagged on the rear and man does it howl in the turns. My wife has even asked what the noise is. (They usually call it a "funny" noise, but I usually find it to be related to $$, and that's never funny to me). On the K whine, it is a beautiful sound, the sound of engineering personified, I wish my K12 was as good at it as my K100 was, she made a wicked whine at about 2500 rpm. Learn to love it, sure beats that dry clutch clank of a Ducati.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I will check tire pressure and see how that works. The tires do not look worn and appear to have plenty of life/tread left. I am relieved that it is the tires, and that I can apparently trust the dealer. I love this bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used to agonize about all the little noises that come with this bike, thinking it was gonna' fall apart under me any minute....but, it didn't and I no longer worry about the little things...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
+1 on the tires thing - Metzlers, right?

Same on all my LTs, still handles great so long as tread depth is good. Front on mine usually starts to sing around 6-7K, have lasted to 19K. Current only sings right, quiet left.

Ride safe

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Howling tires save lives!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
And for Metzlers, the front should be 42# on the LT. The Rear 48# to 50# of pressure depending on load.

Noisy, but they handle the weight pretty well.. They are better for going over steel grate bridges than radial tires, but they are noisy buggers.

Bill

·
Registered
860 Posts
jzeiler said:
Howling tires save lives!!!
BAWAHAAAHAAAHAAAWWWW!!!!!

John, dang you... You owe me a keyboard... :D

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
No radials are made for the LT anymore just bias ply