BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2005 K12LTE from Noosa, Qld and rode it to Melbourne in 2 days to catch the ferry to Tasmania, a distance of 1880 Km's. No great feat in itself but I had a scare when filling up approx 80 K's out of Melbourne with only 1/2 hour spare on my arrival time for the ferry.
Rode in under a huge servo canopy at Wallan, filled up, paid, back on the bike, turned the key, dash lights all fine, pressed the immobiliser button,........... NOTHING !!!
Called BMW roadside assist, they read through the possible list of causes and when they got to the last one it was "move motorcycle to a different location".
I pushed the beast 30 metres out from under the canopy and all was good. Rushed to the ferry and made it on time, just.
I suspect this was radio interference ?? Maybe from a security camera, who knows ?
Guys at work report similar with their cars at certain locations, anyone had similar experiences ?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Another trick is get off the bike and hold the fob right at the back of the top case just above the tail light (alarm is right under there). Yes many things can interfere with the fob transmitter. Some days I can unlock from 20 feet away and others (in the same spot) I have to try three times at the top case.
Most of us stateside have programmed the alarm to disable the immobilizer. Look in the Technical Files section for the procedure.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Dennis and welcome to the forum. It is great to have input from such exotic places as Tasmania.

I agree with John Z on disabling the immobilizer. Saves a lot of grief.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the disable procedure (ignition on/off, counting led flashes etc), but still no joy I'm afraid. Seems like she just doesn't want to be disabled.
I tried the procedure a few times but same result each time. Any more clues ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dennis,

See if this helps:

Brief instructions for programming the anti-theft alarm system for Mode B

1. With the ignition turned off, deactivate the system by pressing button e on the remote control or bY""pressing the inductive key on to the control LED @ (the blinkers shine briefly, the control LED t!) goes off) and connect the negative lead of the programming plug (cable color brown/white) with a cable to earth (battery -) within 12 seconds.

2. Press button e on the remote control (two beeps, then a longer beep will be heard, the blinks will flash twice, the control LED @ will be offj and turn on the ignition within 12 seconds (three beeps will be heard, the programming function is active).

3. Disconnect the lead between the programming plug and earth.

4. Press button e on the remote control (beeper ON, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

5. Press button e (without function, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

6. Press button e (without function, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

7. Press button e (without function, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

8. Press button e (panic alarm ON, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

9. Press button e (without function, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

10. Press button e (tone type intermittent, a high-pitched beep will be heard).

11. Press button (1) (automatic activation of immobilizer OFF, a low-pitched beep will be heard).

12. Press button (1) (automatic activation of alarm OFF, a low-pitched beep will be heard).

13. Press button e (without function, three beeps will be heard. The settings have been stored).

14. Turn off the ignition (the anti-theft alarm system is now active, the control LED @ will begin to flash).

15. Press button e on the remote control (a beep will be heard, the blinkers shine briefly). The system is now programmed, deactivated and the control LED @ is off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
The 05 and up alarms have a different procedure. Read this 05 Alarm Programming

Be methodical on the presses don't stab away.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou Jim, the info is very much appreciated. I'll try the procedure and report back. I just want to be able to turn the key and go, as do many others by what I've read.

And yes, Tasmania is a lovely place, if any of you ever make your may here please contact me, I can always arrange something in the way of a bike I'm sure.

Regards, Dennis

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, I downloaded your doc and (after 4 attempts) it worked a treat ! I set my alarm options the same as you had on your list. It appears that the trick is to be quite quick with the button pressing on the fob.

Thanks again, regards, Dennis.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad you got it going Dennis. Sorry I gave you bad info on the procedure. Mine is a 99 and I did not realize 05 was different. John Z to the rescue (again). :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts