BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion of "no fire"?
My LT had the same symptoms as yours, cranks over
and doesn't start. Turned out to be the fuel pump.
Open the gas cap and listen for the pump when you
switch the key on. It should pump for about 2 seconds.
And should pump as long as you press the starter button.
Or you could check the voltage from the harness to the
pump. Should be getting 12v at the pump for 2 seconds
when switched on and when started button is depressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the spark plugs out to check condition. Wet plugs, dried them with contact cleaner. Grounded them and cranked the engine, no spark. I realize the plugs may be fouled and will not allow a good spark, however now that you mention it there is no fuel pump sound and as long as I am this deep into it I will check pressure at the fuel rail. Bike has a long history of neglect. There are so many things done incorrectly by the PO's shop that it may take a while to get this old bird on the straight and narrow again. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought I had an alarm failure that shut down the firing....but it turned out to be a loose barrel connector under the seat. When I disconnected the rear speaker barrel connectors as well as the alarm one, I did not reconnect the alarm connector sufficiently....by 1/16 of an inch turn! Then when the firing commenced there was no fuel. Coincidently at the same time, John Zeiler later found a pinhole leak around the fuel line clamp INSIDE the fuel tank. When that was fixed all was well. Just some ideas to try....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Located the demon. Removed the conglomeration BMW calls a fuel cell and found several pinched wires. As soon as the fuel tank was removed I had spark again. wil trace the damaged wires to determine their respective duties tomorrow. Replaced the tank, installed the fuel lines and we are back in business. Still have lots of PO's issues to deal with including the ABS reset. All is well with the world right now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's great news to near that you located your issue.
Keep us informed......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts