BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just left the shop with my 2001 K1200Lt, I had the oil changed and I new rear tire installed about 2 mins into the ride the sound from my radio went dead. All the controls seem to be working the radio lights up as normal it switches between the cd, aux and radio, everything seems to be working on the unit but there is no sound coming from it. I tried the disconnect the battery thing a couple of times already but I haven't had any luck with that, can anyone give me some advice on this problem? Don't think water is the issue here either as the bike hasn't seen water in some time.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Check to see if the speakers have been turned off... Take a look into the HOW ( Hall of Wisdom) at the top under the Technical drop down the exact procedure is there.

Or you could also search the links listed below this post to get some other hints.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This must be a planetary thing.....I just had the exact same thing happen! I have power to the stingray/radio, but not even a remote hiss from any speaker!

I did notice a slight raspy sound coming from my left rear speaker about a month ago, but all others were fine - I just think that speaker is about to go bad......and now no speakers work!

I just took off the plastic on the left side to check all the connections and they're all good-n-tight! Checked the radio fuse....not the problem either.

I have read on other posts that our amp might be shot.....and that stinks 'cause that, evidently, cannot be repaired. I was wondering if a radio shop might be able to repair it? Has anyone found a solution to this challenge other than buying a new radio? Jensen I hear works, but then there's the problem with connections isn't there? Which model of Jensen has someone been able to make work?

Found this thread about Jensen install.. .... Might be my winter project. I just hate not using the controls on the left handlebar.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Try disconnecting the speaker connectors, shoot them with contact cleaner, apply some electrical grease to the connects and then back together. Do it for front and rear.

Sometimes that solves the problem.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yep....same here....checked all wiring, connections, and disconnected the battery.....all to no avail. :(

Has anyone ever taken the radio out and had the amp replaced....or is that not possible? :confused:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
There is a vendor that can repair your radio. Becker Auto Sound, located in Saddle Brook, New Jersey will get you up and running like new.I called them a few months ago to get an estimate of the costs. They charge a flat $400.00 rate for K1200LT radio repair, no matter the problem. My concern that if the radio malfunctioned a year later, I would need pay another $400.00 for repair again. (see the link below)

As an alternatve, I just purchased the Jensen jms2212 with the Sirius radio receiver for $245.00. I'm in the middle of the install process now.

www.beckerautosound.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone that replied, I was going to send the unit to Becker Sound but they charge $400. for the repair a bit to much I think, I understand thru them its a common problem with the amp going out on these bmw radios. I found the cd amp section of the radio at a bike dismantler they charges me $200 for the unit, after I installed it back on the bike the radio system never worked so good, it now even picks up radio stations with no interference and plays thru all the speakers, just hope it lasts. But again thanks for all the help I got on this site!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had my radio go out three times this season. It's been resolved with a battery disconnect all three times so far. Is this a sign of an imminent failure or just one of the many BMW quirks? This is the first bike I've ever had with a radio and really gotten used to having it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Quirk or design flaw- take your pick.

I'd keep trolling on ebay or craigslist for a replace radio. The CD player and tape decks are interchangable. I've changed mine 3 times in the past 6 years. I stopped using it and now simply stream music via bluetooth to my helmet. It sounds better and doesn't annoy anyone. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts