BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the inevitable final drive failure I've finally found time to tear the drive unit down and see the damage. Summary: Obvious failure of the Crown Bearing, 19 ball FAG unit on a 1999 LT with about 40K.

I've done lots of reading about ensuring you get the proper shim installed when you put it back together. However, when I took mine apart there as NO shim at all installed in between the housing/housing cover. Is that right??? It appears that I'm the first person to break into the box, so it would seem it came from the factory this way. Is this normal???

I've also tried to locate the SKF bearing from someone other than a BMW dealer...I've found a couple online, but they want over 300.00 for it?????!!! I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what they want. Seems I've read around 130.00.....we'll see.

Thanks to all,
Jason

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
preload shim

Are you sure the shim isn't stuck in the recess inside the final drive cover?
It would be surprising not to have one.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=47964

or Chicago BMW for 20% discount and slower delivery.

Navy flyer in Gitmo, huh?
Last name Captain?
Captain Captain?

I had a Navy shipmate name Sanders who switched from the AirForce to the Navy because he didn't want to become Col. Sanders. :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jlcaptain24 said:
After the inevitable final drive failure I've finally found time to tear the drive unit down and see the damage. Summary: Obvious failure of the Crown Bearing, 19 ball FAG unit on a 1999 LT with about 40K.

I've done lots of reading about ensuring you get the proper shim installed when you put it back together. However, when I took mine apart there as NO shim at all installed in between the housing/housing cover. Is that right??? It appears that I'm the first person to break into the box, so it would seem it came from the factory this way. Is this normal???

I've also tried to locate the SKF bearing from someone other than a BMW dealer...I've found a couple online, but they want over 300.00 for it?????!!! I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see what they want. Seems I've read around 130.00.....we'll see.

Thanks to all,
Jason
I think the shim is between the housing cover and bearing. Probably still in the cover after you pulled the bearing out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant

I knew when I posted this I was gonna come out looking like a moron. Yep, it's there, pressed up in the housing cover. That's not where I thought it was supposed to be based on the diagram I was looking at. Now that I've found it, all the talk about determining shim thickness makes a lot more sense.

CharlieVT,

I need to update my profile. I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES AND THE HELP!!!!!

Jason Captain

·
Registered
579 Posts
SHIM Photo

Photo of the shim during teardown of a 2000 LT with 47K, that did not fail. Barnett

P.S. I see from your latest post you found your shim. I'll submit this photo for others to see what the open drive looks like!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
jlcaptain24 said:
I knew when I posted this I was gonna come out looking like a moron. Yep, it's there, pressed up in the housing cover. That's not where I thought it was supposed to be based on the diagram I was looking at. Now that I've found it, all the talk about determining shim thickness makes a lot more sense.

CharlieVT,

I need to update my profile. I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES AND THE HELP!!!!!

Jason Captain
Jason,glad you got it figured out. Lots of good guys around the DFW area. Check out the South Central forum for news or a Ride To Eat.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Rebuilding it

I have about 30K miles on my rebuild. I did a preemptive rebuild at 30K and now have 60K, no problems so far.

BMW has a special tool to calculate shim thickness and I didn't want to do a rebuild until I thought I could get it right. Then DMAN posted his procedure:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=118116#poststop

which I found to be an elegant and very workable alternative to the BMW special tool.

·
Registered
809 Posts
jlcaptain24 said:
I just got out of the Navy in November. I'm in Fort worth now....and don't miss GTMO a bit! And it was LT Captain....caused quite a bit of confusion!
Welcome back to the United States of America and thank you for your service to our nation!

Regards,
Curt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts