BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some guesses....but I know someone won't have to guess!!

Situation: In various parking places-front end uphill-walking it out of space(backwards)-No servos, as if ignition is not on???

Quite disconcerting when I forget it's gonna happen :D :D

Whats the deal?
Mike

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
shadowofshoe said:
Whats the deal?
Not sure I fully understand your question. Yes, if the ignition is OFF, then the servos don't work. I've never experienced this to be a problem though, just takes more hand strength, but the brakes are still there. Even without the servos, they're stronger than the average Harley's brakes. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Does it reset and work fine once you take off in gear?

The ABS does a self-check to verify both wheel sensors are working before it sets itself. If you're going backward at a walking pace that may not be enough to clear the self-check, but once you ride away it gets the proper signals and works fine.

I'd think the power assist should still work while this occurs, but it's been a few months since I've ridden my LT. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -
Bike is running......and I'm walking out of a space-no assist-I think Ken is correct-it hasn't done its check, but I'm surprised I haven"t heard of this situation yet.

Mike

Once under power all is well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
shadowofshoe said:
Thanks -
Bike is running......and I'm walking out of a space-no assist-I think Ken is correct-it hasn't done its check, but I'm surprised I haven"t heard of this situation yet.

Mike

Yup, Ken has it right, wheels/sensors have to roll forward a few feet for the self-check to complete (flashing "brake failure" on dash stops) and servos activate... and as Joe says the brakes still work, just no "power brakes"

EDIT: Correction... just realized servos on my '05 DO work... just no antilock until the self-check is complete

·
Registered
353 Posts
shadowofshoe said:
Thanks -

Mike

My 05 the assist does work when backing up and the brake system check lights are blinking as it has not done it check. The light blinks until I put it in gear and drive away. The assist works as soon as I turn on the key.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Newf said:
My 05 the assist does work when backing up and the brake system check lights are blinking as it has not done it check. The light blinks until I put it in gear and drive away. The assist works as soon as I turn on the key.

Huh???
I have an 05 as well and my assist does not work in that situation....anyone know if this is a problem?????

Mike

Edit-I still think it hasn't done it's check yet.But if everyone else's works that's weird.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Are you sure you aren't holding the brake lever while the self test is executing? If so, you will only be on residual until pull away test is passed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John- I think you nailed it...notice in my original post : pointing uphill!!

I'm sure I have been grabbing the brake outta the gate...But-honestly I think I'm pushing it forward off the centerstand 1st ,but not enough to clear the failure light.

Mike

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
Mike,

The trick is to leave it in gear (after you are off the stand) turn on the key and let the self test complete, THEN grab brake, pull in the clutch and start her up. That makes for better brakes on a non-level start up.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
I was gonna suggest you check your battery for low voltage next, but I think the brake-on scenario probably nailed it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
shadowofshoe said:
I have some guesses....but I know someone won't have to guess!!

Situation: In various parking places-front end uphill-walking it out of space(backwards)-No servos, as if ignition is not on???

Quite disconcerting when I forget it's gonna happen :D :D

Whats the deal?
Mike
I've noticed that sometimes I have power brakes and sometimes not. So I did something really crazy. I pulled out my Rider's Manual. It has a great explanation of the diag process. I think I'll start doing it correctly, just for fun! :)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Mine will also do that IF I grab the brake before the servo had a chance to fully cycle. If I turn the key on before I even throw a leg over her and then grab the brake lever, all is good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bowlesj said:
Are you sure you aren't holding the brake lever while the self test is executing? If so, you will only be on residual until pull away test is passed.

I have just turned on the key and applied brakes to show other riders the noise and tell them about the asssist so I know it works that way .

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Newf said:
I have just turned on the key and applied brakes to show other riders the noise and tell them about the asssist so I know it works that way .
So your saying you could depress a brake lever, turn your key on, and you'll have servo activity?

I hope not.

·
Registered
353 Posts
bowlesj said:
So your saying you could depress a brake lever, turn your key on, and you'll have servo activity?

I hope not.
Never tried it that way. I turn key on them apply brake lever without starting or moving the bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts