BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry to report that the condition of my formerly immaculate '05 LT was downgraded this morning about two miles shy of another great commute. While turning left from a two lane road onto a limited access four lane I was met rather abruptly by a car merging onto the four lane from the opposite direction. The teenage driver of the car came straight over into the left lane, the lane already occupied by me and my LT. There is really not a lot of satisfaction in being able to say, I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY, when you find yourself laying in the middle of the highway 10 feet away from the best bike you've ever owned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
tips727 said:
I am sorry to report that the condition of my formerly immaculate '05 LT was downgraded this morning about two miles shy of another great commute. While turning left from a two lane road onto a limited access four lane I was met rather abruptly by a car merging onto the four lane from the opposite direction. The teenage driver of the car came straight over into the left lane, the lane already occupied by me and my LT. There is really not a lot of satisfaction in being able to say, I HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY, when you find yourself laying in the middle of the highway 10 feet away from the best bike you've ever owned.
But, are you OK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
DanMartin said:
But, are you OK?
Yeah, the best bike you ever owned is just 'stuff'....'stuff' can be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
So sorry to hear this! It seems you're alright physically - thank God! How'd the bike fair?
 

·
Cat Herder
Joined
·
1,441 Posts
Hope you are ok... Find this kids parents and kill them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Glad to hear you walked away from it not enough do, the bike can be replaced.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
Been there, done that. Glad that you fared ok ad walked away. Now is a good time to start taking a couple of Aleve twice a day for a few days. Been there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DanMartin said:
But, are you OK?
Yes, thanks - actually better than I would have expected. Road rash on my forehead, knee and wrist. Eight stitches in my elbow, and sore all over, but not so much now that the Lortab has kicked in. I am not worried about fixing the bike - there is nothing that I cannot repair/replace/repaint. I am expecting the accident report is going to state that it was the other driver's fault, and if I understand traffic laws, it was. So if her insurance is paying the bill, maybe I will just let someone else fix it - NO, CAN'T HAPPEN. All the damage is on the right side, some from impact with the car and some from where it landed, slid and came to rest. It broke the mirror, trim panel and cap, snapped the bosses off the rider footpeg plate. The brake pedal and the tip-over bar are wasted and plastic from the front lower to the side case is road rashed about like me. The only things that can't be fixed are my khakis and my favorite motorcycle jacket, which now has a gaping hole in its right elbow. I wasn't wearing a helmet and yes I have had that lecture many times, a few as recently as today. The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
tips727 said:
The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.
Well, there is that... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
What kind of jacket were you wearing? Glad to hear you were able to walk away! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Scary story, so glad you are ok!

You must have been able to keep your head up off of the road, congrats on that!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foiler said:
What kind of jacket were you wearing? Glad to hear you were able to walk away! :)
It's a Hein Gericke, red leather - I love(d) it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Glad your injuries are minor..

Take it to the most expensive BMW shop in the area... Let them get the estimate together..I'd almost be willing to bet there's hidden damage you won't see unless you know where to look...

Chances are it'll be totalled....If not, Then with the dealers number in mind you could get well paid to fix the bike yourself.. Less a little for the dealerships trouble...


Good Luck

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I am on my second LT after an incident with a careless driver myself. Very sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are able to get the repairs and replacement parts to your satisfaction, or in the event the bike is actually written off, that you are able to find a ride that makes you as happy as this one did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. What road were you on? I ask because I and a couple of friends were on I-69 heading south through your area last Saturday afternoon doing our butt burner 1500.

I try not to play the right of way game when on my bike. Playing defense is always better. Now if I was in my 740 iL tanked then game's on! Heal quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kimokk said:
What road were you on? I ask because I and a couple of friends were on I-69 heading south through your area last Saturday afternoon doing our butt burner 1500.
I had just turned onto Robert L Draper Way, a bypass between Greenville and Central City in Muhlenberg County KY. If you were on the I-69 corridor you were within about a half mile of my home in Madisonville. If you're ever in the neighborhood again let me know. Coffee is on me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
tips727 said:
Yes, thanks - actually better than I would have expected. Road rash on my forehead, knee and wrist. Eight stitches in my elbow, and sore all over, but not so much now that the Lortab has kicked in. I am not worried about fixing the bike - there is nothing that I cannot repair/replace/repaint. I am expecting the accident report is going to state that it was the other driver's fault, and if I understand traffic laws, it was. So if her insurance is paying the bill, maybe I will just let someone else fix it - NO, CAN'T HAPPEN. All the damage is on the right side, some from impact with the car and some from where it landed, slid and came to rest. It broke the mirror, trim panel and cap, snapped the bosses off the rider footpeg plate. The brake pedal and the tip-over bar are wasted and plastic from the front lower to the side case is road rashed about like me. The only things that can't be fixed are my khakis and my favorite motorcycle jacket, which now has a gaping hole in its right elbow. I wasn't wearing a helmet and yes I have had that lecture many times, a few as recently as today. The good news is that my Yankee's cap came through without a scratch.
Those Yankees always have been a hard headed bunch.

Glad to year you're ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
tips727 said:
I had just turned onto Robert L Draper Way, a bypass between Greenville and Central City in Muhlenberg County KY. If you were on the I-69 corridor you were within about a half mile of my home in Madisonville. If you're ever in the neighborhood again let me know. Coffee is on me.


Thanks Tips! Will do but not anytime soon as my butt needs to heal for a few months. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
From your description of the damage to the bike it is but just a scratch. Shouldn't cost more than about eleventy thousand dollars to fix it.

What a shame but I'm mighty glad you pulled through OK.

Don't think I'm being an ass because I'm not trying to be but when you realized that you were going to go down did you have even a mere thought that you wished you were wearing a hard hat or were you just too busy planning your landing?

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wa1200lt said:
From your description of the damage to the bike it is but just a scratch. Shouldn't cost more than about eleventy thousand dollars to fix it.

What a shame but I'm mighty glad you pulled through OK.

Don't think I'm being an ass because I'm not trying to be but when you realized that you were going to go down did you have even a mere thought that you wished you were wearing a hard hat or were you just too busy planning your landing?

Loren
I trailered the bike to Nashville today for an estimate - $4946.20 to replace the broken parts that are visible.

And no Loren, I don't think you're being an ass. You are welcome to challenge me about my helmet practices, or anything else for that matter. That seems to be the ante for playing on this forum. I don't mind anyone coaching, advising or even chastising me about wearing a helmet. And that is a good thing because the women in my life have been pretty ruthless the last 36 hours.

The answer to your question is that the wreck happened so fast that I didn't have time to plan my landing. Two moments of reckoning stand out. The first was - that car is going to hit me. The second was - my head is on the pavement, better lift it up.

My disliking of helmets is not because I don't know their value. I learned that the hard way in 1978 when one saved my life in my most famous motorcycle wreck. It was the law in those days and I wore it because I had to. That wreck was the beginning of the end of my first biking life.

In my new biking life which began about seven years ago, my riding style is not the same pants-on-fire riding that I did before. I don't know the top end speed of either of my LT's and this more "adult" style of riding has allowed me to rationalize myself out of the habit of using my helmet. But, I am going to change that beginning the next time I saddle up.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top