BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a short 60 mile hop today. Halfway home,,lost rear brakes!! Totally bottoming out foot brake with zero braking. ABS lights started cycling. So I rode the last 30 miles under 35 MPH,,wow. Used gears and front brakes only no big deal. Got home, no brake fluid in rear reservoir,,,evidence of brake fluid all over foot pedal and surrounding area. Filled up reservoir,,got the foot pedal to pump up,,normal brake action,,but lots of fluid leaked back out under the foot pedal....The TUPPERWARE REMOVAL saga begins!!!! Hopefully its just a busted brake line! Anyone have experience with this??

Thanks for any knowledge in advance!

Mustang130

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Mustang130 said:
Went on a short 60 mile hop today. Halfway home,,lost rear brakes!! Totally bottoming out foot brake with zero braking. ABS lights started cycling. So I rode the last 30 miles under 35 MPH,,wow. Used gears and front brakes only no big deal. Got home, no brake fluid in rear reservoir,,,evidence of brake fluid all over foot pedal and surrounding area. Filled up reservoir,,got the foot pedal to pump up,,normal brake action,,but lots of fluid leaked back out under the foot pedal....The TUPPERWARE REMOVAL saga begins!!!! Hopefully its just a busted brake line! Anyone have experience with this??

Mustang130
Yep a lot of us have.
First what year is your bike?
If you bike is over 5 to 7 years old upgrade ALL your lines to stainless steal lines.

HERE is a bunch of threads about your problem

HERE is a thread on Speigler SS brake lines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like the master cylinder is leaking or the brake line connected to it. Remove the footpeg plate to see what's going on (just 3 screws). If you want to see a diagram of what the master cylinder and brake line look like, go to the on line parts fiche at max bmw. If it is the master cylinder it will be leaking out of the bottom. Looks like the master cylinder is about $175.00 from Max BMW. Always change the washers on the brake line banjo fittings (2 per fitting). Then bleed the brakes. If it is the brake line you will need to remove some of the tupperware to replace. You can buy the whole set, front and rear from Spiegler for $235.00. The rear is pretty easy as it has only 2 lines. There are four on the front are a little more time consuming. There is lots of info on brakes on the forum. Apparently BMW recommends replacing the brake lines every 4 years. I have a 2001LT and had a rear brake line fail near the rear caliper a couple of months ago. Hopefully the stainless steel ones will last forever.

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 to eslee and katnapinn's comments. The same thing happened to mine and I thought I only needed to replace one line, so I had Hydraulic House in Austin make me an identical SS line....walked out in 15 minutes with my new $65 line thinking to myself, wow...for a quarter of the price of a whole new set of Spiegler lines! :rolleyes:

Well.....it wasn't but a week later when my front line from the handbrake/master cylinder started leaking! Got home and ordered Spiegler. I had to wait about 10 days for the lines to come in 'cause they were waiting on one of the odd fittings to come in from Austria (it seems they recently filled alot of orders and ran out).

It took me about three hours to install all the Spiegler SS lines with the exception of the one I had replaced a few weeks prior....that Spiegler line is now in my bike repair kit in its own ziplock bag!

Note....the colors of the fittings and hoses cost extra from Spiegler and it would've taken Mathias (the rep) longer to get what I wanted (Blue & Blue)....so I opted for the straight SS and silver look....which turned out very nice! :bmw:

IMHO....take the plunge and go with Spiegler....they have a lifetime guarantee and it'll put your stopping mind at ease when riding!

Good luck on your decision! :wave

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mustang130 said:

Mustang130
Darn, My rear brakes went out somewhere between Orlando and Miami last night :(

It was after dark when I hit the hotel so did not get a chance to look at it and I have been in meetings all day. I will take a peak later today.

I feel your pain, And just a few months ago I replaced the rear brake line next to the right foot. ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts