BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today on my way home from work listining to music. The radio suddenly went silent. I looked down and the display says phone. And wont do anything. So I got home removed the tuperware and stingray. Unpluged and wiggeled every plug going to the stingray and radio. I could not get it to work Still says phone.

Anyone have any idead?

Its a 08 all stock no 6 disk changer. Just the single cd player.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
No guarantee, but it has solved many radio problems over the years - disconnect the bike's negative battery terminal for 15-20 minutes, then reconnect and see if all is well. If so, follow that with the TPS procedure (key on, no start - twist throttle to wide open and release twice - start the engine and ride around the block coupla times - should be good to go). HTH.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
If you removed the stingray you accomplished the standard "disconnect the battery" function already. I have never seen the word "phone" displayed on the dash. Do you have the VOICE intercomm?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do have the voice intercom. You have a idea for me to try? At this point I am willing to try anything. My intercom is not hooked up. I dont use it. I use a sena wireless unit.

I called the dealer this morning they say it is the radio unit itself (cd player) They can sell me a rebuilt one for just under $500. A new one is$815. Oh my ass hurts.

Here is a little more info incase it helps. I was on my way home from work. Nice day out no rain. I was listening to my mp3 player. Which pluges into the aux port on the radio. I have been doing this for a year now. then all of a sudden music goes silent. I look down and assume battery went dead in mp3 player. but all the buttons to the radio do nothing at all. Except the power button. After about a mile the music came back on for about 1-2 seconds and right back to phone. That was it. I pulled everything ogg as mentioned above expecting to find a bad connection or a wire rubbed through. I was very through. even hav the power on and everything hooked up loose so I could wiggle move all the wires to find the bad spot. To no avail, I was never even able to get it to come back on for a second. I even reverted to slaping and wiggling the head unit itself lol.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
It may be water intrusion in the VOICE unit itself. may be worth a shot to remove the stingray and disconnect the intercom from the radio. It may restore normal operation. Often the controller gets water into it through the rubber on the buttons as they will all eventually crack and leak. But "phone" message is unique to the intercom. That is what I would try first.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
edmann said:
i had that "phone" display on my radio once years ago after riding through heavy rain. I put dielectric grease on all the connections and that fixed my problem, could help you too.
Actually that is exactly what I did while I had it apart. I was suprised they dont do that from the factory.

I will try like jzeiler suggested. The bike has not been wet at all in months. But worth a try. I assume I can trace the wires from the voice unit to the plug. Is the voice unit right above the cd player? If not where is it located.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,068 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures from an install post. You can disconnect it with the two connectors at the back of the unit and see if that returns normal operation.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jzeiler said:
Here are a couple of pictures from an install post. You can disconnect it with the two connectors at the back of the unit and see if that returns normal operation.
Thank you that should have been self explanatory lol. Once I saw the pic it all came together. I will try that next.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, got up this morning and tried everything suggested and then some. No change. I even double checked all the connections again. I will take it to the dealer I give up lol. I will post back what it ends up being. So if anyone else runs across the same problem they will know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, One more thing to try. I called a radio repair shop that works on these things all the time. He said the problem im having is not very common. He suggested disconnecting the phone feed wire where it goes into the radio. The phone line could be shorted out. I dont use the phone jack on my bike anyway. Does anyone know which wire/pin I need to unhook at the back of the stereo?

Now that I think about it when I bypassed my intercom did I allready do that? because the phone plug is part of the intercom. I bet that acomplished the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts