BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings LT Forum,

Been searching the forum for a solution to my issue, i will do my best to describe:

1. high centered my 99 LT, busted kickstand assembly off of tranny. Bike still operated normally with no mechanical problems.
2. picked up a new tranny (off of an 05) and made the swap
3. reconnected all wires. Dash lights up, fuel delivery system winds up, kill switch working (meaning cycles fuel pump when switched from off to on), nuetral light green, reverse light comes on in reverse goes off in fwd.
4. Battery is new (12.75v on meter)

All that being said, I have no response when depressing ignition switch.
I would certainly be indebted to anyone that has an idea what i may be overlooking.

Thanks....Jay

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I had that happen one of the times I had my gear box out. Turned out I didn't get all the wires hooked back up to the battery. With having the sidecar I think I have 5 wires on each battery termal. I missed one of them, & it would do everything but start.Hope this helps:wave Patric

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ground wire is good, behind battery box and tight at starter
the wire going to the starter is the 12 volt supply, the starter body grounds through a bolt to the transmission, which causes problems when it come s loose.

the connecting block directly rear of the battery is the point where the starter realy and the reverser feed 12 volts to the black wire on the starter motor - when you push the starter handlebar switch you should see 12 volts at that junction - starter relay puts 12 volts on the smaller black wire.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Check wires to sidestand. I had same problem after hitting a piece of a tire (gator). Wires to sidestand switch were damaged.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
OK the problem could still be in the one of the two switches on the F-R shaft. One enables the starter in F and the other lights the R in R as well as disabling the starter. If you pulled the one from your old tranny and installed it on the new one you may have dislodged one of the plastic trigger buttons on the micro switch (common thing when removed and re-installed on the shaft. This would prevent the starter relay from operating.

If you have a broken one you can replace it with one of these

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the many suggestions, I have exposed the starter relay and do have power up to it. A guy I met who once worked as a service tech at the OKC BMW shop (and still wrenches for many guys out of his own garage) has volunteered to come by the house tomorrow and help me diagnose the issue. I am certain I will be feeling relatively stupid after 5 minutes of his arrival. Thanks again to all who responded, I will update tomorrow night with progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be criminal if I did not mention the specifics of this journey to the center of the LT. After the road claimed the legs out from under the bike, I got her towed about 1/4 of the way back home for free (love AAA). My oldest son, after working a 12 hour shift, insisted on making the drive up to trailer me back the rest of the way (great kid #1 ). We got her back home and I began the search for a replacement tranny (BMW wants 1100 just for the housing). Found a used complete tranny for $150. So having only ever changed my own oil, all I could do is go to the garage 3 to 5 nights a week and stare at the monumental task at hand. My youngest son (great kid #2 ) realized my despair and decided to stage an overhaul. My middle son (great kid #3 ) used the force to jedi mind trick my wife into allowing the youngest to steal my bike from the garage, move it to his friends house and make the tranny swap. My wife spent the 2 weeks before Christmas getting her affairs in order, thinking that if those boys damaged my bike that I might damage her beyond repair. She led me to believe that a Christmas present was in the garage and I had to stay out until after Christmas day. So on Christmas morning after all the presents were distributed, the boys loaded me up in the truck and drove me to the house where the repairs were done. When the door lifted and I saw the bike I was in shock, I couldnt believe they had pulled it off. Even though we are digging back in to figure out the electrical issue, I have to give it up to my boys, along with their buddy, for giving me one of the best gifts I have ever received. I know we will get her running soon and I will have them to thank, along with Kirk Johnson and his detailed videos, for getting this project underway. Anyone who has done any wrenchin on their bike knows just how special this story and I felt compelled to share it with some fellas who might appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Nice story. After reading it my money says almost certainly the boys simply missed a plug, bent a pin, or broke off a switch button as John suggested. You might put a good charger on the battery just to be sure, or at least check your voltage with the headlight on. If you have the updated relay, it could be as simple as that as it will shut down if the voltage is low.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
OK the problem could still be in the one of the two switches on the F-R shaft. One enables the starter in F and the other lights the R in R as well as disabling the starter. If you pulled the one from your old tranny and installed it on the new one you may have dislodged one of the plastic trigger buttons on the micro switch (common thing when removed and re-installed on the shaft. This would prevent the starter relay from operating.

If you have a broken one you can replace it with one of these

John, a while ago you have posted a reply on a method to check these 2 switches behind the knob. See this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/57707-reverse-problem-please-help.html

Given that his transmission was removed, I think the OP (Jrocker) should test these 2 switches (Reverse/Forward) at the connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys we have the reverse switches exposed this morning and are digging in to see if that is the problem. fingers crossed and horseshoes turned upright.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
thanks guys we have the reverse switches exposed this morning and are digging in to see if that is the problem. fingers crossed and horseshoes turned upright.
See 2 attached images containing notes from John (Jzeiler) that I have gathered from past threads. Everything you need to know about this Forward/Reverse switch testing ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bingo, I am showing continuity in reverse and not in fwd. Does the transmission need to come out to swap the switches?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Answer my own question: No, do not have to remove gearbox to get to the reverse switch. Switch removed and the fwd contact is definitely broken off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Some times you (if you can find it) can put the little plastic "piston" back in the rubber and "repair" the switch. Other wise order one from Allied.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
new switches ordered. Again thanks to all, I think we have a solution. looking forward to hearing the starter turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we ordered the new switches and they were a little short. Meaning the plungers sat lower than stock and the actuator wouldnt reach them. We fitted some copper wire under the new switches, held in place with loctite super glue (if youve ever used it you know its permanent) to raise them up just slightly, works perfectly. So we are back on the road, took it out for a test ride and its very smooth. Now i just gotta figure out why the cruise control isnt working. The fun never ends.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts