BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was installing a new Odyssey battery tonight, the wrench made momentary contact with some metal. There was a spark and that was it. When I went to start the bike I noticed that there is no power whatsoever (as in Nothing). I checked the 15 amp inline fuse as well as the fuses in the three fuse blocks and all seem to be okay. Any ideas on what to check next? The battery is fully charged.

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
Hmmm... So you attached the positive terminal first then the negative side. Did the wrench kiss the positive terminal and the frame of the bike?

I wonder if it melted a wire in the harness someplace.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
if the short was just a brief spark then I would think you have left a cable off, it would take a bit longer to melt wires, having said that anything is possible when you short out an electrical system, good luck with it.

Linton

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, as I was tightening the positive terminal wires, one end of the wrench touched the frame. It was a brief spark but a pretty good one (although it was pitch dark outside and I was wearing a headlamp). I have attached all 3 wires to the positive side and 1 to the negative side. When I realized the bike had no power I was certain that it must have blown a fuse but they all seem to be ok.

I have no idea what to check next.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
BMW does not use the frame as ground so a touch most likely will not cause damage. Double check the ground (brown wires) at the back of the battery. Also just behind the battery there is a central ground point where other brown wires are gathered, check that it is tight. What is the battery voltage reading?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
even if you touched the positive post to ground it should not do anything - on K1100LT the computer sits 1/2 inch above positive post and I accidently grounded battery to it's frame more than once without problems - negative post inboard needed to disconnect positive pull battery part way out to get at it, largest battery that I could fit in place, one drawback of the K1200LT is limited space for battery (like most others)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new to the BMWLT, however I just had a new clutch installed and after the installation the bike would not start. After three weeks in the shop they told me today that when the electronics were disconnected to replace the clutch the engine went into safety mode and tripped the starter relay. In order to get the engine unlocked the dealer has to plug it into a BMW pod, which they have ordered from Germany. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ashamed to admit but if I would have got an euro of every "short circuit the positive terminal to ground" I would at this point have money at least for few beers. Never had any issues from those. Some of the short circuits have burnt permanent marks on the tools. I really do not believe it doing harm as the circuit closed is between battery and ground. It really does not go through any bike-device.

Did you do the TPS-reset?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
ScottNSLT said:
I am new to the BMWLT, however I just had a new clutch installed and after the installation the bike would not start. After three weeks in the shop they told me today that when the electronics were disconnected to replace the clutch the engine went into safety mode and tripped the starter relay. In order to get the engine unlocked the dealer has to plug it into a BMW pod, which they have ordered from Germany. Hope this helps.
what year is your bike - if it has the alarm that is ussually the no start problem after power being disconnected

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
ScottNSLT said:
Never heard of that and mine was undon for three weeks and no issue. Sounds like the alarm defaulted to the immobilizer "on" mode.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I worked late tonight so I won't get to try any of these things until tomorrow evening. I'll have to search the site to remember what a TPS reset is and the bike is an '02 and the battery is reading 13.25 volts. I'll also double check the brown wires.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I think you missed a wire on the negative terminal. One has two leads and goes under the frame to the right side of the bike. The other has a single black lead with a brown collar and goes to the left side of the bike near the top of the Motronic and ABS. You probably wrapped it around something to hold it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
DarrellM5 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I worked late tonight so I won't get to try any of these things until tomorrow evening. I'll have to search the site to remember what a TPS reset is and the bike is an '02 and the battery is reading 13.25 volts. I'll also double check the brown wires.
I get the feeling you are over thinking it, forget brown wires tps etc.etc they wont stop the engine from running, make sure you have all the wires connected and it is not your imobiliser, I am with Dean.
Linton

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ScottNSLT said:
Sounds like &^*&^* to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went out and checked to see if I had possibly missed a wire. I didn't. It looks like the previous owner may have wired both of the negative side wires into a single connector. I could easily see that everything was hooked up so I put the seat down without touching any of the wires. Then all of a sudden the radio came on followed by the double beep of the alarm arming. I don't think I bumped any buttons on my key fob. So I disarmed the alarm and put the key in the ignition and it seems like the problem is probably solved. The power is cycling a little bit but maybe I need to top off the battery. I'll throw the charger on it and post back later.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to offer ideas.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
well done and it could be as simple as a faulty key fob
Linton

Reactions: wArt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything seems to be okay. My theory is that I shocked my bike into a coma but it eventually came out of it. That's the best I can come up with. Thanks again for all the ideas.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
There should be one negative lead from the battery to a tie point behind the battery. That is where all grounds (brown wires) come together. No connection to the frame.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts