BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is too obvious so I guess folks have tried but I could not find this when searched.

I am going to add motolights now. Will likely add driving lights CB and GPS in the future (don't I wish I had the cash to do it all at once). Has anyone run a conduit from the seat to the front of the bike such that I can pull wires through at a later date without having to remove things several times?

Thanks for your ideas.

Sorry I could not find a way to delete after posted.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hdfan asks: "...run a conduit...?"

No, but that is a good idea. It would have to be flexible, though, to make all the turns. The biggest problem would be the shape: A lot of the benefit of running individual wires is that the bundle can be flattened out, to get through tight spots.

I ran a large cable(19 gauge, 10 or so conductors) from stem to stern with a breakout at the radio/stingray. It ended up behind the fuse panel. I've made great use of it over the past seven years(1999 model). Won't work for heavy duty-current draw items, though.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Fishing under the tank

hdfan said:
Ok this is too obvious so I guess folks have tried but I could not find this when searched.

I am going to add motolights now. Will likely add driving lights CB and GPS in the future (don't I wish I had the cash to do it all at once). Has anyone run a conduit from the seat to the front of the bike such that I can pull wires through at a later date without having to remove things several times?
Yes. I have fished wire from under the seat, forward under the tank and to the front cowl without removing stuff. Used soft aluminum grounding wire (a wire coat hanger might do) from where a couple of brake line tubes head forward from under the seat, under the tank, and out under the tank up front. Hard to describe, but not that difficult to do. Later when I had the tank off for service, I zip-tied the wires I had previously run to the brake lines to keep them from chaffing.

I did this a long time ago so memory is vague, but I do recall it took only a few minutes to pull wires through. Much faster than removing plastic and tank. HTH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts