BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in the January BMW ON that as of 2020 BMW is apparently no longer going to sell repair manuals for their motorcycles (this is in Wes Fleming’s column). Has anyone else heard this or had trouble buying a manual for a 2021 bike?

If this policy holds, it will be the end of BMW motorcycles for me as I depend on making my own repairs since my nearest dealer is now 148 miles away. There is no way I am depending on dealer only repairs. This would be a super annoying policy coming from Harley or Honda which have a dealer in almost every town of any size, but for BMW which has hundreds of miles between dealers, this is untenable.

I suspect if this policy holds, BMW will also soon prohibit BMW shops from selling parts to end customers or online as parts aren’t as valuable if you lack the service data and tools.

And I did confirm this is the January issue and not the April issue!

• Wow
Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is true. There are other threads on this as well. Actually over on BMW MOA forum there is one where the liaison has been communicating with Motorad. Their response was they have discontinued them and are aware of the issues with owners. Period

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is true. There are other threads on this as well. Actually over on BMW MOA forum there is one where the liaison has been communicating with Motorad. Their response was they have discontinued them and are aware of the issues with owners. Period
They will have no future issues with this owner. BMW is now off my consideration list. I can’t believe the stupidity of this.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have to wonder if this is the start of something we will see more of even from other brands. Could we be seeing the beginnings of being forced away from the internal combustion engine.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to wonder if this is the start of something we will see more of even from other brands. Could we be seeing the beginnings of being forced away from the internal combustion engine.
EVs need repairs also.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,376 Posts
Same thing with the cars. There was a web base NewTIS that had all the repair info but BMW AG shut it down and there is only the BMW TIS that is $30 for 24 hours of use $350 for 30 days or $2,500 for a 1 year access.

• Wow

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I read the article today also. It has been floating around for two months that no one could get a DVD. I was thinking no factory tools too. But, it never struck me they would stop selling part to non dealers. That is the end of any more bikes from bmw for me. I hope I can keep what I have running. I suggest people email BMW customer relations and give them both barrels. There is legislation on the Federal level in the USA for the "right to repair". Started with farmers being locked out of their John Deer tractors. Notify your federal representatives that this legislation is needed. I'm going to have to learn how to speak Honda I guess. o_O

·
Registered
'20 R1250RS, '87 VFR 400R & '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia ti Lusso..
204 Posts
Yep, it's true, BMW factory repair manual is NLA. The article in ON says BMW said it's because the bikes have become so complicated. Well would someone please tell me where between 2018 and 2021 BMW motorcycles made this sudden quantum leap? I say this since I was able in 2018 to buy a BMW factory repair manual for my 2018 RT and also buy one in 2020 for my 2020 1250RS but in 2021 became unable to buy one for that very same bike. So hey, BMW, I'll call you out.... your stated reason is PURE BULL S**T. It's a money grab and nothing else. In my opinion it's the complete lack of integrity by BMW telling outright lies that concerns me. I will never buy another BMW product, motorcycle or automobile, and I'm not shy about spending copious amounts of money on cars or bikes. It's indeed unfortunate.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
BMW is going to fail in the future when it is only electric bikes anyway. They don't care. I'm with you MH, no more BMW motorcycles. There are plenty of others out there. Maybe I'll find an old shovel head...There are manuals for them.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
BMW is going to fail in the future when it is only electric bikes anyway. They don't care. I'm with you MH, no more BMW motorcycles. There are plenty of others out there. Maybe I'll find an old shovel head...There are manuals for them. View attachment 176731
You don't really need a manual for them. If you can fix a 1940's tractor you have it covered. 😆

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys -- Does this also imply that Clymer, et al, will also be shut down?
I doubt it, but, in my opinion, the quality of aftermarket manuals has declined over the years and they now tend to run 5 or more model years behind. Do you want to be dealer dependent for 5 years or more? And I just checked for the K1600 and I find no aftermarket manual at all for it from either Clymer or Haynes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is there a DVD for a 2021 R1250RT?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There is no service manual DVD from BMW for a 2021 R1250RT or any other BMW bike now. If a dealer has a DVD for a bike in stock they might sell it but don't know for sure. Might have been a stop action notice on them. I have not seen a DVD in a dealer display case for years. I just order them from MAX, but those days seem to be finished.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just read in the January BMW ON that as of 2020 BMW is apparently no longer going to sell repair manuals for their motorcycles (this is in Wes Fleming’s column). Has anyone else heard this or had trouble buying a manual for a 2021 bike?

If this policy holds, it will be the end of BMW motorcycles for me as I depend on making my own repairs since my nearest dealer is now 148 miles away. There is no way I am depending on dealer only repairs. This would be a super annoying policy coming from Harley or Honda which have a dealer in almost every town of any size, but for BMW which has hundreds of miles between dealers, this is untenable.

I suspect if this policy holds, BMW will also soon prohibit BMW shops from selling parts to end customers or online as parts aren’t as valuable if you lack the service data and tools.

And I did confirm this is the January issue and not the April issue!
Wait a minute. At what age do the BMW dealers stop wanting to work on bikes? Can you imagine someone trying to sell their $20-25K 2021 RT or GTL in 2030? It would seem to me that the residual value of these bikes would be zero for a motorcycle that a dealer doesnt want to work on, and a manual isnt available to someone interested in a used model. Inconceivable!
Maybe that will make our old LTs a bit more valuable - right? ;-)

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
My understanding dealers are being treated in the same manner - NO PAPER or CDs of DVDs as time moves on . . . all info needs to be accessed via online!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts