BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deb and I are back from seven days on Oahu. We stayed at the Marriott on Waikiki and took part (a bit) in a professional conference. Most days until the last we were up by 3 or 4 am (gotta love that 5 hour time difference) and were on the beach or trail to Diamond Head within an hour or so. Mid days were spent with a book or cigar and then evenings back on the waterfront. Waikiki shopping is like Rodeo Drive--very upscale which was satisfying for Deborah!

I did ride my first Harley.

I wasn't impressed. I found a 05 Road King so we could throw our beach stuff in the bags for a tour around the island. About every twenty minutes or so I was ready to stop and give my tailbone some relief. Typical cruiser posture is not for me. As long as we were putting around 35 or 40 mph life was relaxed and fine; highway speeds, even Hawaii speeds at 65-70, were face-flattening and not fun. Deborah and I agreed that we're just cut from a different type of cloth.:D

While I did find a couple of helmets--suitable for giving "bowl" haircuts--we did without our typical gear. This was nice and unnerving all at the same time. The weather and traffic made the putting around real nice but Deb has been trained well. It took her a while to relax into the traditional Harley chick attitude. The third picture I'm including may suggest she stay there a bit too long.;)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
eatanner said:
I did ride my first Harley.
Dude you look great on that thing! I don't understand why your butt hurt, tho. It looks like you never sat down! :D :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Now ya Know

Well, now you know the truth why there are so many low,low mileage Harleys out there for sale. The do make terrific Garage jewelry, but most of 'em ain't much fun to ride.

My girlfriend and I rented a Fatboy on Mauai some years back and rode from Kapalua to Hana and back with a group of friends who had rented several sedans. For those of you that haven't made this particular trip, the highway is sometimes two lanes, and very often one lane across chasms and around the edges of the mountains and consists of about seemingly a million turns and 300 feet of straight in 30+ miles. I actually got into fourth gear TWICE on the trip; once on the straight going down and once coming back. Those that made the trip in four wheeled vehicles had a very pleasant trip. My girlfriend actually had to be lifted from the back of the Harley upon our return because her legs wouldn't work any more.

This is not to say that we didn't have a good time. It turns out that Fatboy floorboards make a heck of a light show in the corners for those in our group that were following us. I also gained a lot of respect for the parking attendants at the Ritz-Carlton. When I pulled up to the hotel, they insisted that I park on the sidewalk along the front entrance to the hotel. This seemed like a good idea, since I had neither key nor lock for the Harley and could not return it till morning. We all were somewhat surprised when the sidestand of the bike went right through the 4X8 marble sidewalk slab, cracking it completely in half. They earned their tip that night.

I guess what this really says is a Harley can be a reasonable substitute for a motorcycle when you don't have any other choice, but be prepared to pay the price.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Careful there. Next thing ya know, you'll have body piercings and tattoos!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts