BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and I were on our annual Floriday Keys ride when I was in Tifton Georgia when I ran over something in I 75 and cut my front tire. State trooper called a roll back and had the bike towed to a Harley shop about 20 miles south he said there was also a Honda dealership a few miles down the road. The Harley shop said would change the tire but did not have one to fit called the Honda shop they had one that was the correct size but they would not change it because it was not a Honda. Well I had to buy the tire from Honda and have it put on at the Harley shop. I thought the Honda shop would mount before the Harley shop would. I think that is crazy for a dealer to do that to somebody that is stranded on the road no matter what kind of brand you ride. I had one Honda I don't think i will ever buy another one. Just venting a little

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Long before I even considered a BMW I recognized a level of respect for BMW riders from "real" Harley riders.

In the 6 months I've owned my K1200LT, I had other motorcyclists say "Nice bike. What is it?"

But I've had quite a few Harely riders say "Nice Beemer." They never ask what it is. They might ask if it's the one with the electric center stand or reverse is all.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Most likely an isolated situation. I had the local Honda dealer replace a valve stem that went bad on my BMW and he could have cared less what bike it was. He charged his regular rate and the quality of service was top notch. He is much closer and it was quicker to get it done there.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Personally, I would have tried to help out if the person came into my shop. I look at it this way, If I can help, I will and due to being a bidness (mob made me say it like dat), you would pay me for the service.
And maybe just buy something else, Like a bike if you were in the market. I bought cars and bikes just like that...(Snaps finger )

I have done bidness like that, and bought something from someone that treated me with respect, not because I rode in on (pic brand name here) but because I was treated the right.

Big Kudos to Harley.
Course, They havent given me a test ride on a harley either.. whats up with that?

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
0208 said:
My cousin and I were on our annual Floriday Keys ride when I was in Tifton Georgia when I ran over something in I 75 and cut my front tire. State trooper called a roll back and had the bike towed to a Harley shop about 20 miles south he said there was also a Honda dealership a few miles down the road. The Harley shop said would change the tire but did not have one to fit called the Honda shop they had one that was the correct size but they would not change it because it was not a Honda. Well I had to buy the tire from Honda and have it put on at the Harley shop. I thought the Honda shop would mount before the Harley shop would. I think that is crazy for a dealer to do that to somebody that is stranded on the road no matter what kind of brand you ride. I had one Honda I don't think i will ever buy another one. Just venting a little
That is unfortunate and certainly a very poor business practice. You should post the name of hte Honda shop. I won't buy anything with Honda on it either, but that is due to a bad experience with Honda, a Honda dealer and a 1984 Accord I bought new (first new car ever). It was a POS and Honda would not stand behind it. So, in the intervening 20+ years, Honda has lost at least 4 new car sales and probably at least one Gold Wing sale, not to mention lawn mowers, etc. However, I'm glad I bought an LT rather than a Wing ... at least thus far as I have yet to experience any of the LT gremlins in the FD, clutch, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe the people at the Honda shop would be jackasses no matter what brand they sold, to not help a stranded rider out is not the action of a decent shop.I have the Honda shop 30 minutes from my house put on my tires because I can't beat the price and it is family owned great shop,they put them on while I wait.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Sometimes business aren't willing to make an extra effort for a potential customer in need.

My favorite example of "Just what are they thinking!?" was when I dropped my HD off for service with a list of what had to be done. They called when they were finished, I got a ride down there the next morning, went to pay the bill, and discovered they had only done half of what had been requested. I pointed it out and asked them to finish it while I went to breakfast.

NO WAY! I had to come back, in ten days, when they could fit me in again.

I went thru worse, many years later when I decide it was time to buy a new HD that my wife would be more comfortable on.

Yup. They, along with HD convinced me to never buy another HD.

Best from
Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
809 Posts
I could sympathize for the shop; liability, wheel damage, and all that. I have some friends with GW; decent guys that are also RiderCoaches but, even more so, motorcycle enthusiasts.

But, then, I also believe some people/shops/groups are "brandophobics."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The name of the dealer was Honda Powersports in Tifton Georgia . I know that they are good dealers and also bad for every brand that is sold but you would think that any one would try to help anybody if they could that was stranded on the road. Any way after we got back on the road both bikes performed great and we had a great time in the Florida Keys .

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a valve stem go about 1 block away from HD of Santa Cruz. I called them told them the type of tire and that I needed a valve stem, and that I could pull the tire and walk it down. "No problem," they said, "what model bike?" I told them it was a BMW. Not a chance. They wouldn't change a valve stem on a tire removed from the bike.

I searched the phone book and found Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. They could not have been nicer. One of the mechanics drove out to our Hotel, picked us and the tire up, changed out the valve stem for a reasonable price, then drove us back. He brought along his torque wrench and insisted on putting the tire back on. Those guys were fantastic.

This winter Barnett HD in El Paso found a tire that fit, and changed it out fairly quickly. They did not want to take the tire off the bike, but no big deal. They were extremely helpful. So, I've had two experiences with Harley Shops. One was rude and refused service and the other very helpful. I believe HD of Santa Cruz closed their doors last year. I wonder why.

Dale White

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
desertlizard said:
I had a valve stem go about 1 block away from HD of Santa Cruz. I called them told them the type of tire and that I needed a valve stem, and that I could pull the tire and walk it down. "No problem," they said, "what model bike?" I told them it was a BMW. Not a chance. They wouldn't change a valve stem on a tire removed from the bike.

I searched the phone book and found Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. They could not have been nicer. One of the mechanics drove out to our Hotel, picked us and the tire up, changed out the valve stem for a reasonable price, then drove us back. He brought along his torque wrench and insisted on putting the tire back on. Those guys were fantastic.

This winter Barnett HD in El Paso found a tire that fit, and changed it out fairly quickly. They did not want to take the tire off the bike, but no big deal. They were extremely helpful. So, I've had two experiences with Harley Shops. One was rude and refused service and the other very helpful. I believe HD of Santa Cruz closed their doors last year. I wonder why.

Dale White
Yes, you can't blame the brand and must simply blame the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts