BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone;
Rode the scooter two or three days ago, went out today and it would not crank, nor does the headlight come on.
When the key is turned to on I can hear the fuel pump. When the start button is pushed I can hear a slight click.
Checked the fuses under the passenger seat, checked each one with a meter. All well there.
The radio works, dash lights are working normal.
Checked the battery 12.5v, put the charger on it.
I did a search of the forum and got many hits but did not find anything with both : no headlight and no cranking.
I don't have a wiring picture to help figure it out.
Has anyone had a problem like this? Or have a guess at what it might be. Please help

Steve

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Steve,

No headlight makes me think you are missing the ground at the starter. That ground also serves as the ground for the load shed relay that cuts off the lights during cranking. The starter is isolated by rubber o-rings on each end where it goes into the transmission (for reverse) and the rear engine intermediate housing. There is one 5mm bolt that is at the rear of the starter and it is the only thing that provides a good ground to the starter.

It is rather difficult to get to but look down just in front of the battery for that elusive 5mm allen at the rear of the starter. You may have to remove the battery to get to it with a ball driver. But before you go that far make sure that the high beam is also out as well (could just be a burnt out bulb).

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check voltage when you push the starter button. The battery can show good voltage under light load and not have enough juice to turn the starter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I did a voltage drop test on the connections and across the battery, all Good. I tried pulling in the clutch in case it was two different problems. No go.
I will check out that ground cable at the starter. now....

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: No head light, no start. Everything else is normal??now baffeled

What ever is causing this is a real winner. The fuel tank is off, the front faring and nose or headlight is off so that I could get to relays and check the connectors. All the connector look good and the relays,?
I checked out the ground Circuit but it seems to be OK.
Found that there is no power to the headlight, low or high beam.
The starter relay has a red lead with 12.6 V all the time. A Black wire with 11.8V till the starter button is pushed then it goes up to 12.5. I think the back feed on the black lead may be the alarm but I am not sure of that?
This Scooter is a 2002 with 82k.

Does any one have any idea or guess as to what is going on?
How do you get to the starter??

Ideas, Ideas, Please help with any ideas......Steve

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm also thinking grounding problem... fwiw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts