BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I read about a lot of FD failures. Is this inevitable? How many of you have not had a FD failure and how many miles do you have on your bike?

I'll start.

No FD failure, 20,400 miles (knocking on wood with one hand as I type with the other).

·
Registered
160 Posts
If have almost 54,000 miles on my 2003 with no drive problems, or if I do have them I am just too wrapped up in myself to notice them.

·
Cat Herder
1,540 Posts
I traded my '02 LT in last week and the clocked turned 56,000 as I drove in.
The dealer rented my old bike out to a group of folks from Russia, they made it to Yosemite and the final drive crapped out... is that Karma or what.

Dealer told me it was an easy fix. The drive wasn't destroyed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a '99 with 68,000 with no FD problems.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I have been away from this forum for a while, but just to get things caught up. I have an '02 LT with 180,000+ on her. No final drive failure as yet!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
2000 K1200LT when I sold it at 70K no final drive failure. The new owner has 81K & still going. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 02 LTC is at 54000 miles, no failure, ride everyday !

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Pat, I think your question and statement needs some clarification. And so do some of the answers...

See my answer goes as follows:

- currently 04 (05 US) LT 136.000 km / 85.000 miles, no final drive failures.
- first FD bearing changed at 60.000 km/ 38.000 miles as pre-emptive service
- installed a new final drive at 100.000 km / 60.000 miles. This was off of a triked -07 with only 9 miles one it. Pre-emptive service again.
- the old FD got a new bearing per video instructions by Curtis (aka Charlie VT) so that sits now as a spare in my garage and will be changed again at 150 - 160.000 km regardless of the condition of the existing one.
- and the -07 FD will get a new bearing and so on...

So...I have had no FD failures.:)

Perhaps you should have asked:

"How many of you are still riding with your original FD bearing and how many miles you have on your bike."

Regards

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
pjamesbLT said:
Okay, I read about a lot of FD failures. Is this inevitable? How many of you have not had a FD failure and how many miles do you have on your bike?

I'll start.

No FD failure, 20,400 miles (knocking on wood with one hand as I type with the other).
There have been at least 100 threads since about 2002 with thousand of views and responses regarding this same topic. :deadhorse

There is also a final drive failure registry with over 22,000 views which attempts to document this:

The consensus is that 96% of owners have had NO problems. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
RonKMiller said:
The consensus is that 96% of owners have had NO problems. :rolleyes:
That's why we call Ron "The Old Ninty-Sixer"! :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Now people, don't be going off and jinxing yourself..........
I have personal knowledge of 8 BMW's present and past, that have had no trouble.
Probably close to 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes for me - 33000 miles and fd went on our trip to yellowstone. 60 miles from home. I had to ride home on the back of a harley to get my car and trailer. I'm now known as the harley b----.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2005 43,000 miles. No failure yet. Knock wood.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts