BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start the bike and on the way to work all of a sudden I have no brakes with one flashing and a solid red lights. I stop and restart the bike and everything is fine for a couple of miles and it does it again.
searching the site, find out about res. levels and over fill all the res. The battery is new and voltage is good @ 13.8 v. switches seem ok, the brake lights come on and the servos start like they should until I have the failure.
Is there any relays on anything else to check before the dealer gets it?
The Bike is a 2002 k1200lt with 100k mi. any help will be very welcomed.
Does anybody know of a rebuilder of the moldulaters?
Thank you .........Steve

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
the brakes on your 02' (Brembo branded, correct) are not that sensitive to over fill. check your reservoirs and pads. also check for function, rather than just the wig wag.

If needed, I have to get rid of an ABS module (moving) so at least you have a cheap source for a new one.. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2002 has the BMW brakes with servo pumps. The servo pumps do not operate when the lights start flashing, so no brakes.
If you have a ABS module that will work on this scooter I would be happy to buy it from you...Let me know..........Thanks...Steve

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
The one solid and the the other flashing is not a good sign. Best to get a readout from the dealer or some that has a GS-911 unit. When was the last time the brake were flushed? It is an annual on one circuit and bi-annual on the other. Some have seen recovery from a good flushing but do not hold your breath. Module Masters in ID has claimed to fix the oler unit and some here have had mixed results. About all they can do is replace brushes in the servo pump motors. Best to get the fault code read out so you know what the issue is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well put the bike in the shop Saturday for trouble shooting. Should find out Tuesday what the verdict is. Does any one know of a shop that can rebuild the ABS/brake system modulator?.................Steve

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
jzeiler said:
The one solid and the the other flashing is not a good sign. Best to get a readout from the dealer or some that has a GS-911 unit. When was the last time the brake were flushed? It is an annual on one circuit and bi-annual on the other. Some have seen recovery from a good flushing but do not hold your breath. Module Masters in ID has claimed to fix the oler unit and some here have had mixed results. About all they can do is replace brushes in the servo pump motors. Best to get the fault code read out so you know what the issue is.
One option.......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to the dealer today, the codes say internal problems. There was no servo assist and no braking to speak of..
Module masters said they couldn't do it yet. Automotive scientific said they could for $900.00.
Ordered a new module, the dealer gave me a 12% discount on the thing. Should get the bike back next Wednesday. The dealer let me use a loaner bike that has no shield. Can't wait to get mine back...............Steve

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
k2steve said:
Talked to the dealer today, the codes say internal problems. There was no servo assist and no braking to speak of. Module masters said they couldn't do it yet. Automotive scientific said they could for $900.00.
Ordered a new module, the dealer gave me a 12% discount on the thing. Should get the bike back next Wednesday. The dealer let me use a loaner bike that has no shield. Can't wait to get mine back...............Steve
I'm confused. are the servo pumps inside the ABS module? $900 to rebuild/repair existing abs module? How much was a new one from dealer w/ the discount? How much was the one being offered by Hoss in this thread? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Even with discount, I suspect is about double the repair cost quoted.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Even with discount, I suspect is about double the repair cost quoted.
that's kinda what I was guessing. If so, it sounds like he's spending more than necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
More than necessary can be relative, though, and it is his money to spend.... with our without our blessings. :D

While I doubt I would follow the same path, I have, one multiple occasions, paid more for something for peace of mind. Rebuilding pump is still an iffy proposition. I would be ok with used pump, however.

To each their own.....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
deputy5211 said:
More than necessary can be relative, though, and it is his money to spend.... with our without our blessings. :D

While I doubt I would follow the same path, I have, one multiple occasions, paid more for something for peace of mind. Rebuilding pump is still an iffy proposition. I would be ok with used pump, however.

To each their own.....
While Hoss aka Shoswell didn't mention a specific amount, he claimed to have a "cheap" new one, which sounded like it just needed to be shipped.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
There ain't nothin like the feeling you get when you have to stand on the binders and you know it's new, not rebuilt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The price of the new pump module was a little over twice the cost of rebuilding my old one ($2100) plus replacing and flushing - if it could be rebuilt. There would have been a $55.00 charge for testing it to determine if it was rebuild-able.
The module that was offered for sale was not the right one, He had the Brembo brakes and mine has the BMW fully integrated brakes.The dealer and myself checked e-bay with out any luck, there was one but could not be positive it was the correct one.
I took the easy, faster, more ease-of -mind way out and got a new unit. Instead of replacing the old gal with new next year, I'll wait till the following year. Thats what I told my sweet Bride anyway..............Steve

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
That's a hard pill to swallow.. But I guess you did the right thing..A good investment if she's an otherwise good bike...

Note to self.. Bleed brakes on the CLC....

John

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
k2steve said:
The price of the new pump module was a little over twice the cost of rebuilding my old one ($2100) plus replacing and flushing - if it could be rebuilt. There would have been a $55.00 charge for testing it to determine if it was rebuild-able.
The module that was offered for sale was not the right one, He had the Brembo brakes and mine has the BMW fully integrated brakes.The dealer and myself checked e-bay with out any luck, there was one but could not be positive it was the correct one.
I took the easy, faster, more ease-of -mind way out and got a new unit. Instead of replacing the old gal with new next year, I'll wait till the following year. Thats what I told my sweet Bride anyway..............Steve
Thanks Steve for the clarification. Nothing like taking speculation out of the conversation by getting the skinny straight from the source. Alluding to what John said, that's one helluva pill to have to swallow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts