BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 21,000 miles on an '02 - yea I know not a high mileage rig. I drive everyday to work in traffic and on highways. Replaced the rear brake pads (about 1/3 pad left) but the fronts only have worn only .030" from original specs . . . didn't expect that!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hey, s'long as she's stop'n for ya - take your blessings where ya can.

I put the EBC pads on my rear about a year ago - less than 10K on 'em and they're down to the metal. Thankfully I kept the OEM pads - they got some life left in 'em.

And yea - the squeel is back - in spades.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I always thought that I used my front brake more than the rear brake. My rear pads last between 10k and 15k, while my front pads lasted close to 60k.

·
Registered
314 Posts
mtrevelino said:
I always thought that I used my front brake more than the rear brake. My rear pads last between 10k and 15k, while my front pads lasted close to 60k.
I too use the front brake LEVER more than the pedal, but thanks to linked brakes we always use both brakes. Must be the dual fronts v. the single rear that causes faster wear in the back.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Opposite trend

'02 LT, 37K miles - at a tire change, service tech said I needed new front pads soon, but rear pads are still OK. Go figger.

This is the first time the LT has needed brake pads. Put new BMW front pads on. Easy to do yourself - "BMW" front calipers came off easier than the Brembo calipers on my old '99 LT.

The torque spec for the newer "BMW" calipers is different than the older Brembo calipers - it's lower. I over-torqued mine, and may need Heli-coils at the next front brake pad change. Beware!

- Bob

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I had to have my front pads changed about a year ago, at 12k, because they were worn right down. I was shown the pads and they couldn't have had more than a few hundred miles left in them. I had to change both tyres a month ago, as I couldn't get a replacement ME880 front anywhere in the UK, and asked my dealer to check the pads while they were at it as we were going on a trip. The rears are still the originals and the new fronts - with a good 8k on - had plenty left.

Perhaps the only logical explanation is that the various batches of pad aren't all that similar. It might explain the problems some folk have with squealing while I've never heard mine make any noise at all.

Keith

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Replaced my rear OEM pads at 5K due to noise. At 40K, the rear EBC sintered pads were TOAST! The fronts still had 1/3 life at 45K.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
bob_menton said:
"BMW" front calipers came off easier than the Brembo calipers on my old '99 LT.
You do know that you can change the front pads on the Integral brakes (the ones marked BMW, not Brembo) without removing the calipers? Just pull the retaining pins and the pads slip right out the top.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
meese said:
You do know that you can change the front pads on the Integral brakes (the ones marked BMW, not Brembo) without removing the calipers? Just pull the retaining pins and the pads slip right out the top.
Yep...and the rear come out of the bottom sans caliper removal.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks, Ken & Joe - I knew that the rear pads on the old Brembo calipers could be changed without removing the calipers. Now that you tell me the pads can be changed, front and rear, on the newer BMW calipers without removing the caliper, I may get away with the fact that I partially stripped the mounting screws on the front calipers. I may never have to remove them again! Thanx.

- Bob (95 deg. F in Wilkes-Barre, PA)

·
Registered
411 Posts
bob_menton said:
Thanks, Ken & Joe - I knew that the rear pads on the old Brembo calipers could be changed without removing the calipers. Now that you tell me the pads can be changed, front and rear, on the newer BMW calipers without removing the caliper, I may get away with the fact that I partially stripped the mounting screws on the front calipers. I may never have to remove them again! Thanx.

- Bob (95 deg. F in Wilkes-Barre, PA)
Unless you need a new tire :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Foiled again. Forgot about that. Back to the Helicoils ...

- Bob

·
Registered
193 Posts
Suprised

All those years of sportbikes, and pads didn't last that long - sometimes 10K on a front. Forget the rear, it almost never got used (I know...)
I was thinking about the pads on my LT, and thinking at 10K they would be gone due to all that extra weight, but I guess it doesn't eat em like the sport bikes....(I know that sportbikes have softer pads too). :cool:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Have 21,000 miles on an '02 - yea I know not a high mileage rig. I drive everyday to work in traffic and on highways. Replaced the rear brake pads (about 1/3 pad left) but the fronts only have worn only .030" from original specs . . . didn't expect that!!
I've always gotten more life out of the front than the rear inspite of what seems to be even application of both brakes in all but special situations. Perhaps the applied pressure is between the hand lever and foot lever isn't as equal as it feels on my '99. One thing to watch for though is sticky caliper pistons. I just replaced the rear caliper when the pad wear became extreme and the rotor started to blue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts