BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew out my rear brake line. After replacing the line, I cannot get fluid through to the caliper. I've tried letting the pump run, it builds air pressure, but not getting fluid. I've tried using a manual vacuum tool, but after 10 minutes of pumping, the reservoir level doesn't change. Hooked a hose up to the bleeder valve and sucked on it, still doesn't change. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I blew out my rear brake line. After replacing the line, I cannot get fluid through to the caliper. I've tried letting the pump run, it builds air pressure, but not getting fluid. I've tried using a manual vacuum tool, but after 10 minutes of pumping, the reservoir level doesn't change. Hooked a hose up to the bleeder valve and sucked on it, still doesn't change. What am I missing?

What year and I assume a K1200LT. If it is newer than an 01 US, there are 4 reservoirs. Which line broke, the one from the master cylinder or the one to the rear wheel?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an 05, blew the line going to the caliper. I'm only seeing two reservoirs. One on the handlebars (obviously for the front) and a shot glass sized under the driver seat on the right hand side.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its an 05, blew the line going to the caliper. I'm only seeing two reservoirs. One on the handlebars (obviously for the front) and a shot glass sized under the driver seat on the right hand side.

Take a look on top of the ABS unit itself. You will see the other two. The handlebar and the shot glass are only for the control circuits. The wheel circuits are built into the ABS unit. It is difficult to maintain fluid in these reservoirs while bleeding without the special funnel as they are small and deplete quickly.

Servo Assist Brake Bleed/Flush Funnel Tool

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Here is a picture of what to look for.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yeah, the FTE plugs are over the "reservoir". What kinda cockamamey crap is that where you need a special tool to fill it and no way to check them like a normal reservoir? But that got it, used a small funnel to fill and shot fluid 3' on the garage floor. I'll refill and run a few more times. Definitely going to invest in that funnel. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
So yeah, the FTE plugs are over the "reservoir". What kinda cockamamey crap is that where you need a special tool to fill it and no way to check them like a normal reservoir? But that got it, used a small funnel to fill and shot fluid 3' on the garage floor. I'll refill and run a few more times. Definitely going to invest in that funnel. Thanks for the help.

Get used to it. The LT is chock full of engineering oddities. Another one that may surprise you is the clutch master cylinder. As the clutch wears, the fluid level in the master cylinder will increase.
:smile:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts

Just be aware that they need to be pretty well topped off to not cause an ABS fault warning. And when you replace the brake pads and push the pistons all the way back in, if they were filled with some pad wear, it will push fluid out the top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts