BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time since I was 19. I loved my K1100LT. It took me many places with really no hiccups. Only downside was the fairing was in the way of my knees and a little engine heat when it was warm. Put 70K on it and decided to uprgrade to the 1200LT. It was a fun bike but didn't feel comfortable at long distance. Pegs were just too close to the seat and couldn't get used to feeling like I was eating my knees. Plus I had a bit more hip pain from the more upright seating position. Lowering the pegs weren't an option because I new I would be scraping them all the time. All in all it was a good bike.

So my brother got remarried and wanted to know if I would trade for his 07 dl650 wee-strom. I liked it when I rode it a few times so I let him try the BMW. His wife was impressed and he loved the cruise so we traded. With a few low cost modifications from some scrap stainless laying around the farm I think I will have this bike set up the way I want it. Maybe give it a new paint job. This winter since it did go down at about 20 mph. Has a scrape in right side plastic, painting it depends on how cold it gets and if I really feel like its worth it.

Someday I will probably have another BMW. But just can't justify spending over 20K for a new k1600gt. BMW's are still great bikes, especially when they keep coming out with new ones...therefore lowering the cost of used. One thing I will especially miss from K1200 is the cruise. Throttle locks just aren't the same. I know I can put an aftermarket on, and that jjust might be the ticket this winter. I will stilll be visiting forum because I've met a bunnch of good people through it. And love to read all the flaming posts Meese presents :)

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Yep, Neil - don't stray too far away from this outfit. Been great having you around these years. Hope the Strom works a treat for you - don't wanna know if money changed hands, but sure is keen that two bro's did the deed.

BTW - next time you come visit your Tejas kin on the Strom, ping me and I'll meetcha somewhere west of Junction or Sonora.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Neil, good to hear from you. Guess we won't be seeing you any more on your LT then... :-(

Have fun with the V-Strom. Tons of after-market stuff out there, and they are truly versatile.

Good luck. I hope to run into you (not literally) some day.

·
IBR# 366
16,535 Posts
As long as you're still riding, it's all good. :bike:

ADVRider will give you lots of great info on the Strom, as well as StromTroopers,com.

ironbuttwannabe said:
I will stilll be visiting forum because I've met a bunch of good people through it.
There's lots of good folks here, so pop in and say hi once in awhile. :)

ironbuttwannabe said:
And love to read all the flaming posts Meese presents :)
:histerica Well, I try to inform and entertain. :histerica

1 - 4 of 4 Posts