BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi can anyone advise?
I have just got a used 2005 r1200rt, the front brake feels odd Lever feels very loose on first pull then firms up with several pulls, also when I start the bike I get the orange triangle that then goes off but no red ABS warning? I thought this was normal until watching a few videos on YouTube and every one else’s has the red ABS warning until they pull away??
I’m replacing the front pads to see if I can solve the squashy front brake as sometimes it feel like it’s not working unless I pump it?
Hope this makes sense I’m new to the forum so please direct if this has been discussed before cheers D
I can email a video of start up if needed

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am assuming yours is a Hexhead ?
I had one and no spongy brakes. Mine had the "whizzy brakes". It was the last one with those type of brakes. You should hear the electric motor every time you engage the brakes. That squashy feeling should not be there, no matter what type of brakes you have. It points towards air in the brake system or badly deteriorated brake fluid. Don't bother looking at the main reservoirs as it can appear that the brake fluid is fine when it is actual sludge at the calipers. Most dealers seem to perform the halve assed quick job where they fail to push the brake caliper pistons back....that's where all the crud in the brake fluid sits.
I have just done the brake flushes on my own 2014 RT and my wife's Yamaha XJ6.
Both had slightly spongy brakes that we were not aware of because as it happens slowly over time, you get used to it.
My RT was understandable as the brake fluid was 5 years old, but my wife's was suppose to have been done 2 years ago as part of the service by the dealer.
Well the crud that came out of her bikes brakes when I pushed the pistons back was disgusting. Now here brakes are far far more direct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming yours is a Hexhead ?
I had one and no spongy brakes. Mine had the "whizzy brakes". It was the last one with those type of brakes. You should hear the electric motor every time you engage the brakes. That squashy feeling should not be there, no matter what type of brakes you have. It points towards air in the brake system or badly deteriorated brake fluid. Don't bother looking at the main reservoirs as it can appear that the brake fluid is fine when it is actual sludge at the calipers. Most dealers seem to perform the halve assed quick job where they fail to push the brake caliper pistons back....that's where all the crud in the brake fluid sits.
I have just done the brake flushes on my own 2014 RT and my wife's Yamaha XJ6.
Both had slightly spongy brakes that we were not aware of because as it happens slowly over time, you get used to it.
My RT was understandable as the brake fluid was 5 years old, but my wife's was suppose to have been done 2 years ago as part of the service by the dealer.
Well the crud that came out of her bikes brakes when I pushed the pistons back was disgusting. Now here brakes are far far more direct.
Thanks for the quick response, yeah I’m gonna do a re pad and clean out the pistons I did it on one of my old bikes and solved the problem.
not sure what a “hex head” is?
cheers David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response, yeah I’m gonna do a re pad and clean out the pistons I did it on one of my old bikes and solved the problem.
not sure what a “hex head” is?
cheers David
I can there the motor when breaking do I assume the brake assist is ok?

·
Registered
350 Posts

This is a Hexhead. Look at the shape of the cylinder head. It's not elliptical but a hex shape.

·
Registered
350 Posts
And yes, it sounds like your ABS brake assist is working as you can hear it during braking and no alarm comes up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I loved my Hexhead '05. Went to a '14 Wethead, (water cooled) but all things considered, the '05 was probably more fun. P.S. I had a "Low Seat"... there are several vendors making these if yours seems too tall... and yes toured 2-up thousands of miles on the Hex... enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts