BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to start a tire thread here but just need a brief question asked?

I need a new front tire. I have a Storm ST on the front and was looking at several front tires such as the Avon Storm Ultra 2 and the Michelin PR3. I stopped at the dealer to see his price and he said the Metzler ME880 was the only recommended front tire for the LT due to the weight. I looked at the Metzler along with the other tires and they all seemed appropriate for the LT. Checking the Avon site, they recommend the Storm Ultra 2 in the fitment guide for the LT. All listed a 58W rating.

I've read posts covering all three makers and everyone seems satisfied they all worked in their case. I'm looking at buying my own and putting it on myself. Are there any words of caution for either of these three tire makers?

John

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Avon Storm Ulta 2's ARE rated for the LT.

FRONT: 120/70 R17 Sport Front 79V
REAR: 160/70 R17 Sport Rear 79V

These are REINFORCED radials, that are speed and weight rated for the LT.

I would go on and tell you how much I love them, but I don't want to turn this into yet another tire thread! :histerica

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
wsp310 said:
....I stopped at the dealer to see his price and he said the Metzler ME880 was the only recommended front tire for the LT due to the weight....
Recommended by whom?

Last time I checked, and it has been a while, Metzler, Bridgestone, and Avon all had matched tire sets that were weight rated for the K1200LT.

After the 2005 model year of K1200LT, some of the tire manufacturers withdrew their tires from the fitment chart for the K1200LT. If I recall correctly Avon did this because their KLT tire was a radial and the steering geometry change with the 2005 model created some stability issues when running radial tires. When I last did my research on this subject, an Avon represenative said that they listed their KLT weight rated tires for the 99-2004 models of the K1200LT but not for the 2005 and up models, but they were: "looking into" making a tire for the 2005+ KLTs. This information is several years old, check with Avon for an update.

Some time ago, Bridgestone changed their recommended tires for the K1200LT from radial to bias and the BT020 became unavailable. The current Bridgestone bias BT020 is proper fitment for the KLT and is what I have been happily running for several sets now. Prior to that there were the radial "Stones", which were great tires in my opinion, they wore out fast but where really "gripping" and fun to ride on. My 2000 K1200LT came with radial Bridgstone BT020 when it was new.

The Metzler tires have the reputation as the longest mileage tire for the KLT.
The current bias ply "Stones" are a good option, won't last as long as the Metz's, but may be a little "stickier" both on dry and wet roads.

Again, check with Avon regarding current fitment for 2005+ model KLTs.

There there are those who "mix and match", I've forgotten the combo commonly used but there have been some endorsements form folks on this site of different brands front and rear to create a tire set that has the desired handling and mileage characteristics. Tire manufacturers consistently recommend AGAINST mixing bias and radial tires.

You do have to be careful, there are MANY tires that will fit the KLT but are not weight rated for it. Improper tires have been installed by motorcycle shops, inadvertently purchased by bike owners, and found on bikes that people purchased from prior owners.

This is now officially a dreaded tire thread. :histerica

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"This is now officially a dreaded tire thread."
Not until it gets moved to the tire section. THEN, and only then, will it be an official tire thread. Which begs the question, why don't we have an oil section? :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
fpmlt said:
"This is now officially a dreaded tire thread."
Not until it gets moved to the tire section. THEN, and only then, will it be an official tire thread. Which begs the question, why don't we have an oil section? :p

Geez, you had to mention the "O-word" as if the T word was not enough?

Some people!!! ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
CharlieVT said:
The current Bridgestone bias BT020 is proper fitment for the KLT and is what I have been happily running for several sets now.
I ran the Bridgestones but really didn't get on with them, which surprised me as they were by far the best make for my K100LT I ran years ago. I found them a little unstable at high speed (+80mph)

I have a 99, and switched to Avon Storm 2's, which are weight rated for the bike, and so far they seem excellent. Can't comment on wear yet though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.