BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A beautiful day for a ride, perfect weather. About 20 miles from home stopped for gas. Noticed when pulling in it was handling different. Flat in the rear.

Raggedy hole right in the middle of the tread. Put 3 plugs in it in an attempt to get her home. Was not my lucky day for tire fixing. Called my neighbor and trailered her home.

Now to replace the rear with only 1500 miles on it.

Seeing as the front has 22k on it and starting to cup, looks like she gets new rubber front and rear.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It was a nice day to ride. Sorry about the flat though. Sucks a lot. Tires are not cheap.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You're kidding me! 22 K on the front tire? That's insane. How in the world do you do that? That stated --- why would anyone replace the rear tire and leave a front tire that had over 20,000 miles on it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
gunny said:
A beautiful day for a ride, perfect weather. About 20 miles from home stopped for gas. Noticed when pulling in it was handling different. Flat in the rear.

Raggedy hole right in the middle of the tread. Put 3 plugs in it in an attempt to get her home. Was not my lucky day for tire fixing. Called my neighbor and trailered her home.

Now to replace the rear with only 1500 miles on it.

Seeing as the front has 22k on it and starting to cup, looks like she gets new rubber front and rear.
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me yesterday. I got off work and started home. Noticed the bike felt squirrelly in a curve, but discounted any problem with the bike since the pavement was old and had several patches on it. Made it home without incident. Started to leave for work today and the bike didn't want to roll out of the garage. I checked the air in the rear.....zero. I rolled the tire around to find a 4" long nail in it. Had just replaced the tire 3000 miles ago. The front has 15,000, and is time for replacement. I wondered how a nail could bypass the worn out front tire and get the fresh rear?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
jkriner said:
. I wondered how a nail could bypass the worn out front tire and get the fresh rear?
Front tire stands up the nail, rear tire grabs it.
My tandum axel trailer also only gets flats on the rear (second) tire.

I try to ride in the tire tracks of traffic and stay off the center and out of the breakdown lane.
Can not remember last time I had a flat, maybe 30 years ago?
Hope my luck holds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts