with horns..............

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice Conspicuity Triangle.....

1100's for low beam aug

1400's for bad weather vis

I have run both and really like the 1400 IONS for their beam spread, road illumination, especially in bad weather/rain. I modified/replaced my old 1100RT front fender with an RS factory front, so I could run those lights when I first started the bracket stuff, a long time ago....!

·
Registered
107 Posts
This setup is illegal in Alabama, and I suspect several other states, whereas no more than four "headlights" are allowed.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
bikebum said:
This setup is illegal in Alabama, and I suspect several other states, whereas no more than four "headlights" are allowed.
I suspect that law was "enacted" because of the "Mud trucks" with their rows of lights above the cab,

As long as you're not "blinding" others,
it doesn't make much sense to limit lighting on a motorcycle!

But then neither does putting "horns" on your helmet. :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
bikebum said:
from the Alabama Code 32:

"
(b) Head lamps on motor vehicles.

(1) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four head lamps, with at least one but not more than two on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations of Section 32-5-242.

(2) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of Section 32-5-242.

(3) Every head lamp upon every new motor vehicle sold after January 1, 1950, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in Section 32-5-242."

Looks like Gold wings with four headlights are also illegal here as well. But we have an "out" as these are auxillary lights.

Section 32-5-241

Additional permissible lights on vehicles.

(a) Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.

(1) SPOT LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one spot lamp and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle.

(2) FOG LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

(3) AUXILIARY PASSING LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary passing lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and every such auxiliary passing lamp shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

(4) AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary driving lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and every auxiliary driving lamp shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

Yes I am working on Law as a third career.:p

If you want some real fun just read

49 CFR Part 571​
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment; Proposed Rules.

OMG

·
Registered
989 Posts
4 is max in NJ, too.

I have been "busted" during inspection for having more than 4 lamps on my truck. I had separate add-on driving and always-on fog lamps - so that when the inspector turned high beams on, the two headlights and all four add-ons lit up. I actually had a switch to disable the add-on lamps, but forgot to turn them off.

However, once they are off, I have no problems inspecting either cars or bikes. If asked: these are for off-road use.

I guess that I could be harassed on the road by police if all lights were lit, but the truck is since gone and I doubt that they will bother with the bike.

Now, a question to jzeiler: what are PASSING lamps?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Don't you just love how visible those moto lights make you!

·
Registered
117 Posts
gpolakow said:
Don't you just love how visible those moto lights make you!
First things I put on the RT after I bought it.

And my WIFE bought them. She loved how conspicuos my last bike was with them, and when I sold the old RS with the lights, she bought the Motolights for the new bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts