BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have all read the rumors of what will or will not be a possible next generation K LT. I firmly believe BMW is ready to release a really amazing touring bike for this next generation , given all of the changes and improvements across the board on ALL of the other models.

What would YOU like to see in a new LT?

I dont think they are going to use the current K bike platform with its forward canted 4 cylinder engine.... I think they are going to use a unique setup . I hope it will be either a flat six (a la Wing) or a V6. I would think single overhead cam with four valves per would keep the head narrow. I would also think they could employ variable valve timing . Hydraulic lifters would be nice so you dont have to do valve adjustments and an improved fuel injection system would be a must , maybe even with some sort of variable intake system to improve low end power . At least 1500cc would be nice as well. No reason it shouldnt be rated around 135+ hp (engine, ~120+ at the tire) with as much or more torque . Must be smoooooooth....oh and please make the throttle adjustable so you can get comfy with it.

Keep weight under 900lbs fully fueled (preferably at or less than the current 860). Give us a normal ABS braking system (that will save on cost , complexity and weight) with separate front and rear brakes that just work. Keep good handling a priority with good ground clearance but improve low speed handling with lower center of gravity as much as possible. Must be sportier than a Wing , that is what BMWs are about .

Love all of the current features , so keep them or improve them. Need much better headlights (Wing is GREAT here currently). MP3/4 capable , make CD changer optional - nobody uses them much any more...plug in the ole IPod. Get someone to make decent TIRES for the bike!

A much easier to use ignition/security system. ONE Fob so when you are within so many feet (say 4) you can just push button start the bike and on a display you can see any security alerts etc. Keep single sided swingarm.

She needs to remain as adjustable as possible so many types of folks can find comfort. Keep the built in roll bars so if she falls , nothing gets hurt..

Innovations? Hmm variable valve timing/intake/exhaust and maybe even cylinder shutdown tech to improve power emmissions and mpg...this is ALL common auto stuff. Tire pressure sensors , very useful on a big tourer . Havent read too much good stuff about Yamaha's clutchless FJR so that may not be ready yet......but a good system like it would potentially be really good for a large touring bike....lot of bugs in Yammy's system still though. Another thought would be a TURBO 4 cylinder ......

Anyway .....just wondering what your thoughts are on what you would like to see as we get closer to potentially seeing what is up BMWs proverbial sleeve..... :bmw:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
She should weigh at least 200 lbs. less than you've indicated. And have air conditioning. Can't let the new Wing get ahead of us.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
  • 1500 - 1800cc 6 or a beefed up version of the current K12 platform
  • 150-200 lbs less weight
  • At least 7 gallon fuel cell (preferably 7.5 - 8)
  • Same integrated bits as now (saddlebags, topcase, radio, comm system, heated stuff, cruise, etc.)
  • ESA
  • XM Satellite integrated into system
  • Drop the CD changer
  • HID from factory
  • 6 speed tranny
  • Manual centerstand (optional powered unit)
  • Go back to the J&M Comm system for intercom and drop the VOICE II and it's children
  • More tire choices, either through deals with manufacturers or via bike weight and load rating being managed to use more options already on the market
That's what comes to mind initially.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I hope the new LT comes with a GINORMOUS block of cheese . . .

. . . to go with the whining I'll be reading due to all the unmet expectations. :p

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
messenger13 said:

. . . to go with the whining I'll be reading due to all the unmet expectations. :p
I'd go with that, depending on what type of cheese it is

·
Registered
78 Posts
New Lt Changes

I think the motorcycles appearance is perfect no need to change anything visually. Better driver seat, passenger seat is OK with my wife except for the hight of the seat catches some wind. A little more power or a gearing change in the bottom end would be nice I have never nor ever will I use all the top end power this bike has never been over 85 miles an hour for long. A clutch that does'nt empty your wallet when it goes out nor requires the bike to be nearly taken halfway apart. better final drive design if this is as big a problem as I've heard about on this site. I personally have not lost a final drive yet but the clutch issue I have experienced. Last of all at least 100 lbs. lighter and a lower center of gravity.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
First of all I really like cheese :D
I am one of the minority that does not think the bike is to heavy.
I am newer to the site but the talk and speculation about the next generation seems to be all over the place. One day they are going to get out of the market, the next they are making expansive modifications.
Just my observations.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally, I would be happy with a tool kit. I had a tool kit on my previous bikes. $22,000 and no tool kit? What idiot figured that as a good thing?

CD's are so yesterday; put a damn MP3 in it with an SD card slot and call it good.

More horses. I like the ponies.

Floorboards.

Built-in GPS.

BMW: Are you listening?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Dan,
I'm with you on the ESA. Change the first gear to a bit lower and save the rest. It's a touring bike. If you want to go really fast, add some stuff to the GT but leave the LT alone!
Just my .02

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good suggestions , I totally forgot about electronic suspension adjust some of the other new models are sporting ....I am sure the LT would have an improved version.

As much as I would love for the bike to be much lighter I dont think it will be possible while going to a larger engined better equipped machine , even with lighter materials and better technology these days. Weight can be deceptive as well.....many larger machines feel much lighter then they are (like our LT's). Honda is notorius for bikes that feel much better than their numbers say they should. :bmw:

·
Registered
185 Posts
how about in order of priority

The bike as it is, plus
#1 more horse power
My last bike was a VMAX
would love more low end, mid, and high end!

#2 As reliable as a honda
I haven't really had any issues but thinking about all of them, and doing preventitive steps, new throttle cables, messing with ABS flashing lights, makes me miss that atribute of the japanese bikes, low maint!

lighter would be good, but would give that up if I had to give up something
Everything else I can live with or modify to my unique liking

larry
That's it for me

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Shriker said:
Some good suggestions , I totally forgot about electronic suspension adjust some of the other new models are sporting ....I am sure the LT would have an improved version.

As much as I would love for the bike to be much lighter I dont think it will be possible while going to a larger engined better equipped machine , even with lighter materials and better technology these days. Weight can be deceptive as well.....many larger machines feel much lighter then they are (like our LT's). Honda is notorius for bikes that feel much better than their numbers say they should. :bmw:
Sportbikes have been getting more powerful and lighter year over year for the last decade or so. MotoGP bike make upwards of 250 HP and weigh around 320 pounds. BMW has been increasing power and displacement and reducing weight across the line with the R1200 bikes while maintaining and/or increasing maximum load capacity for the bikes. Given that I see no reason not to expect a lighter and more powerful LT.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
messenger13 said:

A nice smoked Gouda or havarti with mine please!!! :D

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Put a 5 cyl inline motor in it (ala Audi GT) IF they cant pump up the current one a bit.
Change Gearing for 1st at the very least.dont need to go 60 in 1st!
Better Lights
Drop the CD, go for MP3/ipod
Loose some Weight,but keep the same Style.

That's it for me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lt Changes

I'd rather keep the current engine/power with the current fuel consumption..
I had a Goldwing a while back and couldn't put up with the MPG and tank range. 33mpg UK (28MpgUS)/ 160mile range. Not good enough

Definitely keep the hydraulic stand. It will make the difference with my back injuries.

Improve the final drive reliability. Roller bearing ?

HID as standard on both beams.

Good quality Driving Lights as standard.

Provide cables to plug in MP3, XM etc Possibly an adapter that fits onto the CD Changer lead so you can still control from the top.

Rear FOG lights. Cars in the UK have had them since Nov 79.

Wiring pre-run for a trailer.

Foldable or hidden antenna(s)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stoker100 said:
. . . #1 more horse power
My last bike was a VMAX
would love more low end, mid, and high end!. . .

larry
That's it for me
I've been considering buying a new VMAX as my 1-up bike. What made you get rid of yours?

As for my wishes for the new LT. More torque, HID for both high and low. Lower CG would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker. If the seat isn't made more comfortable, then don't change it at all so I can move my Corbin over.

And, Joe, I prefer a nice jung Gouda over Swiss. Nothing better than sliced/cubed Gouda with a slightly chilled Riesling Auslese!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Edam

More power, in Europe, 100mph is not enough on the autobhans to keep up!
Less chromey plastic
easy tranny oil change
obviously a better final drive
less gadgets to go wrong. I can fix most stuff now, but electrics will be a pain, dont put a GPS on it, then you are stuck with whatever quality GPS you are given. I wont buy a new one at the moment due to the electric center stand (and being skint!!)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
You're list is good Dave, but you got the wrong satellite radio, Sirius should be the unit of choice. :p :D

1 - 20 of 125 Posts