BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Newly acquired 03 LT from Norco CA

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SoCalLT 
#1 ·
Howdy y'all(Norco has had the largest per capita of horses in the US, no we don't own any now, did when I was a kid and found out how much work they were..lol)

Recently purchased a poor/non running 03 LT with 65K on the clock, no front brake pressure. Trailered it home, it is now completely dismantled. So far I've replaced the brake lines with Spieglers, replaced plugs with Iridium, new fuel filter/ring gasket(found the cause for the poor running, hose from pump to filter was completely porous), replaced original fuel injectors with rebuilt 4 hole injectors, re-wrapped disintegrating wiring loom housing in both handle bars down to the fuse box(and other places), pulled air filter and found a K&N(will clean, re-oil and replace that). Will replace the handle bar grips, flush the complete brake system including the servo and clutch, change all oils and coolant. Bike already had LED headlight, PIAA running lights, upgraded windshield and a EBC rear rotor. Most recent check were the valves while everything was apart, only 3 intakes need attention(.13/14).

This site, along with the videos from illinoisBMWriders have been a huge help, Thanks!! I do have the Clymer manual and also downloaded the BMW repair pdf. http://www.bmwbmw.org/tech/BMW-K1200LT.pdf

Looking forward to finishing this project up soon. Will be wanting to find some cam followers in the next few days after I pull the cams out to see what I'll need.

Cheers!

Matt
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
She is an unbelievable long distance road machine that is also fun in the twisties. There is nothing else like it out there, but (as you know) she does require a bit of TLC. Enjoy and welcome.

Reactions: SoCalLT
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. As john said, that is a butt load of work but it is getting up there in years so all of what you did is just required maintenance, Unfortunately, you had to do it all at the same time. Sounds like you are well on your way to that great machine back in proper working order.

Reactions: SoCalLT
#8 ·
Matt,

You may wish to inspect the throttle cable near the handle bar - these are known to fray and break - ask me how I know! BMW made a change in the parts and routing since 2005 I believe. Years ago BMW offered a replacement kit not sure if they still do? The parts and new cables make the routing of the cable on the handle bar bend less and tend to make the throttle cable easier to operate. Maybe check with MAXBMW as they always seem to be on top of parts availability for our now older models . . .

Rather that overload this reply with all the information available just type "Throttle Cable" in the search dialog area and start your research.
I mention this since you have the bike stripped down and this would be a good time to replace . . .

Good luck and welcome aboard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.