BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://youtu.be/7zLxVUndXdg

We made it back safe from our Newfoundland trip, total mileage was 9,212 km. The province is worth a visit and is much larger than I suspected when I started planning our trip. I rode to Halifax via NY, VT, NH and Maine, the roads south of the border are definitely more interesting than taking the Trans Canada (which I used for the return trip) We spent two days on Cape Breton before taking the ferry to Newfoundland.

Gerhard

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Excellent video Gerhard. Was the Goldwing rider along with you for the trip?

The good Lord willing, I'd like to be up in that area next year.

One question about the bike tied down, did they do that as a precaution or was the water kind of choppy?

Greg

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the wing was a solo rider returning to his job in Newfoundland, nice guy, we were the only two bikes on the trip over. The tie down was definitely necessary on our trip to the island, the return trip was smooth and probably would have been ok without tie down. That said the crew won't help tie down and they won't even go out on a limb as far as to give an opinion on if things are secure enough. I guess they don't want to be held responsible if anything happens.

Gerhard

·
Registered
307 Posts
For anyone considering a Newfoundland trip, consider making a great circle route - go to Quebec City then east on Route 138 (north shore of St. Lawrence) to Natashquan. Board the Nordik Express, a 228 ft supply boat that stops at a bunch of fishing villages with no highway access to the rest of the world. The boat drops you in Blanc Sablon, on the Labrador border. From there, take a ferry over to Newfoundland. See Newfoundland - parts are spectacular - then head for home from the south side of the island via one of the ferries to Nova Scotia.

We did a fairly leisurely version of this route from Vermont in two weeks. You get French Canada plus Newfoundland plus a little Cape Breton and PEI if you like.

Here's a link for the Nordik Express:

http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/company/relais-nordik/transportation

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.