BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys were so great to jump in with advice on my last question, I thought I would put you to the test. I hope there I'm not breaking a "new guy rule" by asking this question and possibly creating "civil unrest" within the group. :)

This question is kind of like, "Do you prefer a Chevy truck, or a Ford?" You will get some pretty passionate responses. :)

I am a pretty analytical person so I do a LOT of research before I make a big purchase. I would say I am above average when it comes to understanding the automobile world, and although I'm not a "new" rider, I have been out of the bike world for awhile. So here is my question..

Price being the same, would you prefer to buy an older bike (2002 and older) with low miles (less than say 30 to 40k), or a new bike (newer than 2002) with higher miles (say 50k or more)? (I can already hear people saying for a BMW that's NOT high miles) I get that, but you know my point. :) (150k miles on a Toyota engine may not be a LOT of miles, but in fairness it's also 150k miles on the Drivetrain, shocks, etc)

A 1999 LT was just listed on CL, and happens to be right down the street from me. Beautiful bike and looks like well taken care of with only 29k. Asking price is $ 7,500.00. But for a few grand more I could move up quite a few years (with higher miles) and was wondering if it is worth it. I also know that "it's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it", but that's not what I'm after here.

I am curious as to your opinion regarding this issue, so fire away.

Let the games begin!! :)

Thanks again,

Dan

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
light86 said:
A 1999 LT was just listed on CL, and happens to be right down the street from me. Beautiful bike and looks like well taken care of with only 29k. Asking price is $ 7,500.00.

Dan
First thing, low miles or not, $7500.00 is at least $2,000 too high. IMHO

·
Registered
576 Posts
The '05 model year is significant, changes to steering geometry and adding the power centerstand might be important to you. Do you want central locking? I think that came later, but I'm not sure when.

Then there's also the farkelization. An older bike with lots of doodads might ultimately save you money.

Bikes older than that are FAR from chopped liver, though. Mileage on these bikes is contingent on maintenance. If they're maintained, they'll go forever.

·
Registered
335 Posts
$7500 for a '99 seems high to me. I wouldn't be afraid of the bike but would expect to do some preventive maintainence on it before taking it too far from home. If I was going to spend that much and could go a little more, I would shop for an '05 or newer. There were changes that started with that model year and continued throuth '09 that just make the newer models more attractive to me. I rode an '00 model for more than 40K miles and it was fairly bullet proof but with any BMW, regular maintenance is the life of the motorcycle, so if maintainance records are available and they look to be pretty thorough, you can have more confidence than without.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1 on the price being to high. I bought my 1999 with 20 K on it for $4950 just 2 months ago. I even got them to replace all the fluids.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the question is more of do you want a 1st gen or 2nd gen LT?

In 2005 they up'd the horsepower a little, changed the chassis slightly for better handling, the "dashboard" completely changed plus you get the key fob for locking all the bike's cases.

I bought my 2001 last June and it had 63,000+ miles on it. Although it idles a little rough once I'm at highway speeds and the cruise is set it smooth as butter! :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
light86 said:
You guys were so great to jump in with advice on my last question, I thought I would put you to the test. I hope there I'm not breaking a "new guy rule" by asking this question and possibly creating "civil unrest" within the group. :)

This question is kind of like, "Do you prefer a Chevy truck, or a Ford?" You will get some pretty passionate responses. :)

I am a pretty analytical person so I do a LOT of research before I make a big purchase. I would say I am above average when it comes to understanding the automobile world, and although I'm not a "new" rider, I have been out of the bike world for awhile. So here is my question..

Price being the same, would you prefer to buy an older bike (2002 and older) with low miles (less than say 30 to 40k), or a new bike (newer than 2002) with higher miles (say 50k or more)? (I can already hear people saying for a BMW that's NOT high miles) I get that, but you know my point. :) (150k miles on a Toyota engine may not be a LOT of miles, but in fairness it's also 150k miles on the Drivetrain, shocks, etc)

A 1999 LT was just listed on CL, and happens to be right down the street from me. Beautiful bike and looks like well taken care of with only 29k. Asking price is $ 7,500.00. But for a few grand more I could move up quite a few years (with higher miles) and was wondering if it is worth it. I also know that "it's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it", but that's not what I'm after here.

I am curious as to your opinion regarding this issue, so fire away.

Let the games begin!! :)

Thanks again,

Dan
Unless that 99 is priced at $5k or below, I would probably pass on it regardless of miles, except under very rare set of circumstances.

Also your question was based, in part, on the criteria "price being the same" but when you get to the '99:newer comparison you state "but for a few grand more [you] could move up." Based on starting price of $7500 and "a few grand more" you may find yourself at $10,000+. With a more realistic '99 price of, say, $5k, you have doubled the price range, negating the premise of "price being the same."

All of that aside, welcome back to riding, and welcome to our community.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bought my '99 with 64k on it for $3990...albeit, the radio was out and ABS was non functioning (which is fine for the '99 and part of '00). It still runs great and easily the best purchase I've ever made.

·
Registered
198 Posts
light86 said:
Y
A 1999 LT was just listed on CL, and happens to be right down the street from me. Beautiful bike and looks like well taken care of with only 29k. Asking price is $ 7,500.00.
Dan
You can check NADA and KBB numbers on line....but to my thinking that's pretty high for a '99. Do be sure of its accessories as not every '99 had heated seats, some didn't have the on board computer, etc. At that price it should have an intercom etc installed. As a point of comparison, 8 months ago I got a very basic '99 Standard with 92K miles for like $3800. Mine has no extras on it at all, no heated seats, no computer, no intercom (I subsequently installed one) But I love my bike.

One question to ask is if you want the servo assisted brakes or not. They started with the '02 model year. There's nothing wrong with them. Braking is excellent. Just a bit fussier to maintain.

Good luck!

JD

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Easy question. Buy the purple one. If there isn't a purple one then you had better read the other responses.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Buy a newer model with higher miles.
I would buy my own 05 with 65+ K miles on it from myself! :p
It may not be clean but it is maintained!;)

You also need to consider the options and extras on the bike. Does it have a communication system, heated seats (not all trims have that), GPS, adjustable passenger floorboards, highway pegs, back rest, etc...?
Will the bike need new tires? That will set you back anywhere from $250-$500 based on the brand and who installs them.
When was the bike last serviced? Anywhere from $120 -$900 depending on whether you can do your own wrenching.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With all due respect to JD, the NADA and KBB values are artificially high for practically all vehicles they cover.
That being said, I agree with the others- the price you mentioned is high, unless it already has all the options conceivable, as well as some of the other mods and accessories BMW owners eventually add to their LT. Trying to purchase just the accessories alone can be very costly. Even the used stuff goes for a premium, and then you have to factor in the cost of labor if you're not doing it yourself.

Examples: does it have GPS?
possibly CB?
Satellite radio?
especially HID lighting- either accessory drive lights or replacement headlight?
heated seats?
heated grips?
larger floor boards?
any kind of quality aftermarket seat?
bakrest?
intercom- if so, does it include all the cords? (newer aftermarket wireless would be more desirable)
armrests for the passenger?
cup holder?
helmets and/or riding apparel and does it fit you? (though some people are rightfully very finicky about used helmets)

This list is not exhaustive, some accessories more desirable than others- but it should make my point. I started to mark the more costly ones, then I realized they're all costly.

I just bought my '99 two months ago for $5K w/ 36K miles. I know I've mentioned it before, but it's to help show a decent price range along with the others mentioned here.
Mine is in great mechanical shape-everything works, including the CD, CB, cruise, ABS, OBC, final drive ( :rotf: ), trunk latch, ABS, and heated grips. To my surprise, it didn't have heated seats, but one can't win 'em all.

Compare my list of what I have to the list above that, and you can see the total really adds up. Of course, you can start out w/ more basic model and add-on as you can afford to do so.

I've also mentioned in other threads the newer models have additional creature comforts, which are nice and desirable, such as the servo/integrated brakes and hydraulic center stand. And it goes w/o saying the engineering upgrades are welcomed.

All LT veterans already know all this- no revelations, but how I justify to myself my decision for this generation is the newer generation bike with the additional technology/features is going to be even more expensive to repair when something finally craps out, and it will. As been said, anything manmade will break sooner or later.

I think I went off on somewhat of a tangent, but I prefer a low mileage bike (or cage for that matter), regardless the year model. :eek:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I agree with almost everything that has been said. A '99 should be half of what a real good to excellent '05 or newer LT is even it has lots of add-ons.

The options that you need depends on when and where you expect to use the LT. Condition and maintenance are key but new shocks, new tires, stainless brake lines, HIDs, intercom, heated seats and GPS are all the options that add value to the '99, or for that matter any LT.

What ever miles the LT had should be fairly evenly spaced. You don't want an LT that spent the last 8 years as a garage queen. See if you can figure out what the milage span was and over what years.

If it has sat for the last few years there are liable to be tire 'out of date' issues and that will set you back from $350 to $600, out of the box, depending on brand and if you do the exchange your self. Bottom line is check not only the remaining rubber but the date on the sidewall. Remember that tire wear on these can be short depending on the brand and if the tires are not new you will need tires this season.

·
Registered
795 Posts
+2 on $7,500 for a '99 is too high; $5-$6K is the sweet spot for an average market price depending on equipment and condition, you had better be getting a lot of extras for that $7,500 price tag.

I seriously considered the exact same thing you are right now, save money or blow it all for a newer bike, I decided to go with an older ('00) bike with 34k miles and paid a LOT less than $7,500.

I seriously considered an '05 that was immaculate in virtually every way with all options and I think it had 36,xxx on the odo, the guy was asking $8,000 so if you are willing to spend $7,500 my advice would be to find an extra $500 and get an '05 or newer, otherwise keep your cash and get a cheaper previous model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, can I just say that everyone on this forum is a lot more helpful, knowledgable, and responsive than those on FaceBook!? (No, I haven't asked them any "bike" questions) :) I have to buy a bike now!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Don't want to scare you but that is a 13-14 year old bike and the brake lines in that vintage are failing at a high rate now. Be prepared to put a set of SS lines on if they haven't already been replaced ($290 +).

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Just one other comment to consider. The '99 has 29K on it which means the current owner (original?) has put a little over 2K a year on it...if he's been riding it every year. Do you know if the bike has been sitting for a considerable amount of time? You mention automotive knowledge, so you would know it's very bad for seals, etc. for a vehicle to be sitting and not brought to operating temperature on a regular basis. I only mention that because you could be facing some additional expenses that might not be showing up right now.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Last thing to consider: People worry too much. Buy the thing. Fix what's wrong. Run the crap outta it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts