BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New "kid" with a '99 I just got....unheated seats. I have a chance to get a full set of heated later type seats, all three pieces, the kind without the cut out for the body ridges that are on the early year LTs under the seats. I've searched for any thread(s) that discuss this "conversion" but maybe I'm not using the right key words.

It looks like, at least on the front seat, that cutting down the body panel "lips" and removing the side brace for the panels and perhaps installing a screw clip to replace their function is all that's necessary, besides running wires to the fuse block, of course.

Sorry if I'm blundering in with a long ago answered question. Thanks for any guidance.

JD

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe that the rear seat and backrest will be no problem. Those did not change. I installed my "old" custom Russell saddle onto my newer 2007 LT. All that was required was some minor work on the under side of the seat pan with a moto-tool.

Doing it from newer style to an older bike is something that I have not heard of anyone doing. Most regard the newer saddle as a torture device, espcially if you are larger than a jockey.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yeah I did it waste of time had to grind all the lip off around the top edge of the panels the seat was a bmw comfort seat was horrible to sit on I have my original back on there is a huge gap now between the seat and the panels but thats just my story, if you get seats prior to 2004, you should be right all model rears fit without any modifications, if you were here in Oz i would give you the full set cause I cant sell em, no one wants them

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
For your size, Jeff, I would not do that mod.

Removing the side panel support braces and trimming down the side panels is exactly how BMW did the low seat retrofit kits (came out in '01? '02?)

Three problems with this approach:

(1) the low seat drew vacuum -- way too thin (and the '05-on seats were narrowed -- went from a stock seat that I felt no need to replace with aftermarket (pre-'05 seat), to a seat whose pan was shaped in a way that *required* an aftermarket replacement ('05-on seat). So just because the '05-on seat you've found may have a bit more padding the the old BMW low seat retrofit, you'll likely find the overall shape to still be uncomfortable).

(2) the dropping of the rear of the seat (the net effect of the mod, as the front attachment/pivot point remains unchanged) changed the angle of the seat relative to the rider's legs, i.e., the seat nose was tilted up. I suppose you could get used to it, but it never felt "right" to me.

(3) The ~ 1" seat drop added quite a bit of bend to the knee -- for such a small drop, it made quite a (discomfort) difference to me -- and you know how short my legs are.

I can't imagine that you'll be happy with the new arrangement, and you can't go back -- the mod leaves an unsightly gap between the trimmed panels and the original seat bottom side edges. Hold out for a '98-'04 heated seat!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello JD
The unheated seat/grip 99LT has a different wire harness and the heated seats and grips will not just plug and play . Look in fuse box and there will not be one where the heated seat fuse should be . I have seen a retrofit wire kit somewhere - Ebay maybe some time back. I add heated seats to my 99LT , It took a little head scratching to make a pigtail for the back seat and backrest with a QD plug as the back seat needs to be removed for some service operations .
The wife now thinks heated seats are a must have .
PM me if you go ahead with the conversion and want advice .

Bob G

·
Registered
478 Posts
hi i have the wireing harness you need for the seats. it is brand new never used c/w the necessary relay fuses & instructions. it is a oem bmw part
and would part with it for a reasonable price.if you are interested send me a message :bmw:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies to date. The main reason for asking is, as noted, I just got a '99 w/o heated seats, and, I just got the opportunity to get a complete set of later model heated seats from a friend virtually for free (a favor owed...etc). Hence the question. FYI these aren't for sale. If I don't use them he gets them back and I'm not sure what happens to them next. Anyway, sounds like the easiest/best course is to try to get at least an early year riders heated seat and go from there.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Jeff D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would also try contacting some of the aftermarket seat makers such as Corbin or Bill Mayer. I believe that they are now making heated options on their saddles and may do your existing seats. Worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts