BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was trolling on another board and somehow linked into this board. My wife and I are expecting our first BMW bike in a few weeks and are planning on going to Duluth for the Reunion. I have been wanting to take a trip along the north shore of Lake Superior for a while and when I saw that you were having this get together in August, it made perfect sense. So we signed up to go this evening and reserved rooms at the Radisson. They asked me for a code but I did not know what code they needed, hopefully this is not an issue. They gave me the CCR rate and gave me a confirmation number too.

If anybody is planning or would like to join us for our trip around Lake Superior on the way to CCR, just let me know.

Looking forward to meeting you in Duluth.

Jeff & Lori
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will definitely check it out. I have not figured out our logistics yet, but now I will be trying to work out the trip with a stay at Naniboujou Lodge Thanks again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
Welcome Jeff. CCR is a BLAST & you both will have a GREAT time.

THIS will be that last 2 days of a 5 day ride up from Austin Tx for me , My wife & whom ever else wants to join us along the way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
565 Posts
katnapinn said:
Welcome Jeff. CCR is a BLAST & you both will have a GREAT time.

THIS will be that last 2 days of a 5 day ride up from Austin Tx for me , My wife & whom ever else wants to join us along the way.
Hey Steve,

You may want to take a little more time and head farther west coming out of Traverse City- even do the loop around the Lelanau Pennisula, and pick up M-22 and take it south. If you haven't been on this road before it would be worth it. More scenic and funner than 31.

Just a thought.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
Matt said:
Hey Steve,

You may want to take a little more time and head farther west coming out of Traverse City- even do the loop around the Lelanau Pennisula, and pick up M-22 and take it south. If you haven't been on this road before it would be worth it. More scenic and funner than 31.

Just a thought.
Thanks Matt... That looks like a good "Add On" to the ride. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
grove5 said:
Hi Everyone,

I was trolling on another board and somehow linked into this board. My wife and I are expecting our first BMW bike in a few weeks and are planning on going to Duluth for the Reunion. I have been wanting to take a trip along the north shore of Lake Superior for a while and when I saw that you were having this get together in August, it made perfect sense. So we signed up to go this evening and reserved rooms at the Radisson. They asked me for a code but I did not know what code they needed, hopefully this is not an issue. They gave me the CCR rate and gave me a confirmation number too.

If anybody is planning or would like to join us for our trip around Lake Superior on the way to CCR, just let me know.

Looking forward to meeting you in Duluth.

Jeff & Lori


Welcome to the site, this site and these guys are awesome, full of great info. They have helped me tremendously! Hope to meet you this summer. Check out the info for the STC at the Iron Horse Lodge in the smokies, I am headed down if you are interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
katnapinn said:
Welcome Jeff. CCR is a BLAST & you both will have a GREAT time.

THIS will be that last 2 days of a 5 day ride up from Austin Tx for me , My wife & whom ever else wants to join us along the way.
You are coming up right past my house. Too bad you don't want to go around the north side of Superior, we could all make the trip together. I 100% agree with Matt regarding your trip. If you can travel closer to Lake Michigan and see the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Glenn Lake area (M22) you will not be disappointed. May be the most scenic part of Michigan. Going thru Traverse City is really worth the extra time. I hope to see you in Duluth or possibly sooner.

Jeff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
katnapinn said:
Welcome Jeff. CCR is a BLAST & you both will have a GREAT time.

THIS will be that last 2 days of a 5 day ride up from Austin Tx for me , My wife & whom ever else wants to join us along the way.
On my trip around Lake Michigan last summer, the best riding I found in the U.P. was H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising. Most maps show it as unfinished road or trail, but it was finished in late 2010. Worth the small detour to the north to get to Grand Marais. The Lake Superior Brewery is also there. Great stout, Whitefish sandwichs and Scottish eggs. :) 60+ miles of twisty, curvey perfect road.
From Munising, it's a really nice ride along the southern edge of Superior to Marquette, and then on to Duluth.

HTH,
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
grove5 said:
If you can travel closer to Lake Michigan and see the Sleeping Bear Dunes and Glenn Lake area (M22) you will not be disappointed. May be the most scenic part of Michigan. Going thru Traverse City is really worth the extra time. I hope to see you in Duluth or possibly sooner.

Jeff
+1....enjoyed this section on a couple rides last summer and look forward to it again this year.... this is ONE of the most scenic areas of MI....I am a bit partial to the UP ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Munmi said:
+1....enjoyed this section on a couple rides last summer and look forward to it again this year.... this is ONE of the most scenic areas of MI....I am a bit partial to the UP ;)
Scott,

I'm forever grateful for your H-58 suggestion last year. I hope the road is still in pristine condition as I found it.

Thanks,
Jer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
jers99lt said:
On my trip around Lake Michigan last summer, the best riding I found in the U.P. was H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising. Most maps show it as unfinished road or trail, but it was finished in late 2010. Worth the small detour to the north to get to Grand Marais. The Lake Superior Brewery is also there. Great stout, Whitefish sandwichs and Scottish eggs. :) 60+ miles of twisty, curvey perfect road.
From Munising, it's a really nice ride along the southern edge of Superior to Marquette, and then on to Duluth.

HTH,
Jer
Jerry that was the way I was going but I heard it was NOT Paved. Thanks for the NEW info, I'll add that to my route also. Dang I may need to add another day to the trip up. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Kat, the paving was completed in October 2010.

Jer, I was on H-58, AKA Hurricane Highway, this past Sunday. This was our first drive up there this spring. Unfortunately, we were in the cage. The road is still awesome. Viewing platforms at Sullivans Landing along the lakeshore are complete. The stop at the Hurricane River Bridge and beach area was what I expected.... :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
148 Posts
jers99lt said:
On my trip around Lake Michigan last summer, the best riding I found in the U.P. was H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising. Most maps show it as unfinished road or trail, but it was finished in late 2010. Worth the small detour to the north to get to Grand Marais. Jer
What's the best way to get to Grand Marais? Coming from St. Ignace. I would probably go 123 to 28 to 77 to Grand Marais but I see to the east of Grand Marais Google maps has something called Grand Marais Truck Trail / Co Rd 58 / Co Rd 407. It's close to the lake and looks interesting I just don't want to do a sand/gravel road 2 up & loaded.

Thanks,
Chuck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
148 Posts
katnapinn said:
Thanks Matt... That looks like a good "Add On" to the ride. :D
Steve, if you go that way make sure to go to Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive (small fee to enter). It's part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. There are some great views within short walking distance. One is 450' above lake Michigan.

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/psscenicdrive.htm

Also another road that's pretty nice is above Harbor Springs. As you would continue north on US-31 just north of Petoskey is M-119 that goes to Harbor Springs. M-119 beyond Harbor Springs start to narrow to where it's probably less that 2 car lanes with trees very close to the road. And some very nice views of lake Michigan.

In Cross Village is Legs Inn. It's a restaurant not an inn serving Polish food. It's on the water and has outdoor seating with great views of lake Michigan.

http://www.legsinn.com/index.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
that_guy11 said:
What's the best way to get to Grand Marais? Coming from St. Ignace. I would probably go 123 to 28 to 77 to Grand Marais but I see to the east of Grand Marais Google maps has something called Grand Marais Truck Trail / Co Rd 58 / Co Rd 407. It's close to the lake and looks interesting I just don't want to do a sand/gravel road 2 up & loaded.
County Rd 407 is gravel from Muskellonge Lake State Park to a point about 4 miles east of Grand Marais....a distance of about 20 miles.

As for St. Ignace to Grand Marais, there are several option depending on your preferences.
1. US-2 to M117 north to M28, west to M77, north to Grand Marais would be the quickest.
2. I-75 to M123, north to M28, west to M77 would also be quick.
3. I-75 to M123 north all the way to Paradise and Whitefish Point, back around due south through Tahquamenon Falls State Park to Newberry and M28, then west to M77.....
4. I-75 to M123, north only to Trout Lake and pick up H40, H40 west to Engadine and M117, north to M28.

I could go on with more routes as they all have their pro's and cons. I would suggest ordering a UP ride guide from UPCruising. Click on the link in my sig. The guide is free but has shipping cost. It is also available at all of the Michigan welcome centers of northern MI from Clare north.

BTW, number 4 is my favorite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Welcome to the site Jeff and Lori. There is a lot of great reading and info on this site. You can find all kinds of things out here. So having said that, Dave, what is the STC at the Iron Horse? I can't find any info on it.

Marty :bmw:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
MartyBlok said:
Welcome to the site Jeff and Lori. There is a lot of great reading and info on this site. You can find all kinds of things out here. So having said that, Dave, what is the STC at the Iron Horse? I can't find any info on it.

Marty :bmw:


STC (spring training camp) and the SMFR (Smokey mountain fall reunion) are held in the spring and the fall at the Iron Horse Lodge. It is a group of BMW riders from all over that get together. It's really great.

Click on the forum tab, then click on the search tab, then search for dates for STC and SMFR, or Iron horse lodge STC. Something like that should take you to previous threads with info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
MartyBlok said:
Welcome to the site Jeff and Lori. There is a lot of great reading and info on this site. You can find all kinds of things out here. So having said that, Dave, what is the STC at the Iron Horse? I can't find any info on it.

Marty :bmw:
Marty,
Click this link to the list of threads in "Rides, Rallies, and Get-togethers". -->http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136 Look for any thread with STC or SMFR in the title. Once you click on a thread, read what you want, then scroll to the bottom. If you see a block with "Similar Threads", click any of those for more info. Several of our members are prolific picture takers, so most of the threads probably have pictures attached. Hope this helps.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top