BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Y'ALL.
I'm so excited..I am in the process of purchasing my very first BMW.
It;s only been 20+ years since I rode with any regularity.
I;m stoked.
TO be honest..I was thinking hard about a Goldwing...but made the mistake of stopping by a BMW shop...WOW.
2006 K1200 LT....coming soon..minty...black...AWESOME...
I;m stoked.
I'lll be back in a week with photos :)
Cheers, Ken

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
welcome and congratulations on the bike

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK Ken--Calm down now---just take a deep breath and settle in. There that's better.
Now look around and see if anyone saw this moment of insane behavior. If they did, just tell 'em it was some sort of tick you were born with and they'll accept that and go about their business.

Slowly move away from the keyboard, put down the Aerostich flyer and close the Touratech catalog. If you don't, you'll fall into the trap of going on line and finding all the goodie things that you can add to it and really make it your own BMW and then the FedEx guy will beat a path to your door.. We've all been there and done that and we feel obligated to step in here and set you on the correct path from the start.

If you're not careful before the bike arrives you'll have several boxes strewn around the living room with Backup Backrest, Mick-0-Pegs and HID Lights and such and you'll loose track of which instruction sheet goes with which. I've definitely been there.

Now congratulations and welcome to the madness. I think you made the rational and of course correct decision on the LT. I have a Goldwing and an LT. Since getting the LT, even though it's an old '99 and the first year model, the handling and the ride of the LT will blow you away. It drops about 150 lbs when you get over 10mph and will go forever. Hard to keep it somewhere around the speed limit, but as we all know... the speed limit signs are just a suggestion anyway.

When I go by the covered Goldwing, I can hear it sniveling under there from not being ridden much since the LT came into the stable. I ride it when the LT is in for service. I even took the Hannigan trailer and had it repainted to match the color of the LT.

Be safe.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome aboard Ken, take some time to learn the handling (particularly stopping) characteristics of the LT.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Grats on your new ride Ken

Just so you know the silly grin comes with the bike nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Congratulations on the new LT, Ken. You're going to love it.

And don't apologize for almost-buying a Gold Wing. Lots of LT owners have been there, have had 1 (or more) of each; some currently have 1 of each. I did several test rides back and forth between the Wing and the LT. Went for the LT. Liked it so much I traded the '05 in for an '09. Still liking it. :)

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Congrats Ken, it's a great ride, and I can attest to Tommy's post, I have a living full of boxes for my winter spruce up...

-Preston

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I recently rode from Maine back to Tucson==great experience.

This community continues to be a great experience for me. about 10 yaers now.

Looking forward to your pixs.

Best from tucson
Bob

pix of my bike, Devil's Triamgle, TN

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Looks like it blocks ALL wind from around the windshield and "wing" windows.
It's:
A: the worst ghetto mod ever devised
B: very functional
C: all of the above
D: none of the above

Time for a survey?

·
Registered
227 Posts
My best friend rides a G-wing, and I've got the LT. They are both great bikes. When we tour together, we always stop for gas because he needs to fill up first; I could go another 60-80 miles. The LT definitely gets the edge on gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The pipe insulation didn't seem to make any difference.

Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll agree with all the above. The LT is a great bike. It has speed, handling, comfort, causes huge smiles on the twisties. What more could one want?
One suggestion. You'll hear some folks say; "Ride it like you stole it". if you do, get a good radar detector. :histerica

1 - 16 of 16 Posts