BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Currently looking at BMW R1150RT or 1200RT or K1200LT. Started out on a 88 Honda Shadow 1100, i really miss that bike :(, and now have a v Star 650. Obviously the v Star is not going to cut it for two people, or one really.

I have always liked the looks of the Beemers. I have 3 Bimmers now so not a stranger to the brand.

Will the 1150/1200 work well enough for my wife and I ? I have ridden both and seemed pretty comfortable but i noticed I lean forward a bit? is that normal? We wont be doing any cross country trips, mostly day trips in and around the SE, Atlanta.

I sat on an LT and just liked how it fit me but was a bit concerned about the weight? I have read several posts about slow speed on it. I am taking a Ride Like A Pro class next weekend to brush up on my skills. I am sure the SO would love to sit on the LT it looked a lot more comfortable.

I dont really ride aggressively but not an old man either! 5'6" about 160 lbs w a 30 inch inseam. the LT i could flat foot, the other two i could not. It didnt seem to bad to me and if i can work on my low speed skills like the videos show i would be pretty happy.

Just looking for some info from some of the folks on here, its a great site, been reading it the last couple of weeks. Thanks in advance

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board. You have come to a good place.

You have asked great questions. I will keep my replies short

If choice is an 1150 or the 1200RT... go for the 1200RT. More power, less weight, fewer vibrations based on different engine and internals like counter shaft balancer.

"No cross country trips" yeah right. I heard that before. But in case you do want to roam a little, the RT is great. My wife and I tour extensively on my R1200RT and find it comfortable, plenty of room for all the stuff we need, and fun to ride. North Georgia is RT country, not to mention any of the Tennessee/North Carolina places.

I too am 5'6" or so and about the same weight. I have the Low seat option and have a further customized it to fit my stature. I can easily have the balls of my feet down either 2-up or solo. Cannot flat foot but it is not necessary.

Lean forward... yes, thank God. Sitting upright is poor riding posture and ensures discomfort. A little reach forward is what you want anyway and although it may take a short while to get used to it... if you are in any sort of shape it will not be an issue. Many people add on inexpensive bar-backs. They help some people, some do not end up keeping them once they learn to ride. (long-term joke there)

I have no personal experience with an LT except that from good friends who ride them. Heavy, yes. Comfortable- yes once under way. Low speed handling- well it IS heavy.

Highly recommend not letting your wife sit on the LT. You may be influenced to make a difficult decision.

Bimmers? I have had 12 in a row... they are all right I guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm functionally around the same stature as well. 5' 7", 180lbs and a 29 1/2" inseam.

I got a 2011 RT in December after having a HD Night Rod and a MB Breva before that. I didn't feel comfortable demo riding the stock height seat on the RT, but the dealer swapped out the low heated seat at no charge.
I rode with the low seat for a few months with no real issues, but it was a little soft and I knew that I wanted to upgrade at some point anyway. I could more or less flat foot with the low seat, but I rarely have two feet down anyway.
I acquired a new Rick Mayer from someone with the same measurements as me a couple of months ago. I can't flat foot with the Mayer seat but it is incredibly comfortable and I love riding with it.
I always keep my foot on the brake with left foot down so it's never an issue while riding and I don't have any problem in slow speed U-turns, quick stops or any other maneuvers either.
the only concern that I have with the seat height is backing down my sloped driveway and basically backing up and turning while backing up in general. I have to do that on my toes and I'm concerned at times that my foot is going to slip and I'm going to go down. My solution is to just go slow one foot at a time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm 5'7 160 lbs with a 30 inch inseam as well. I bought the RT low suspension version, primarily due to my driveway situation, which has retaining walls on both sides for all 50 ft into my single car garage. This means I either have to back pedal it in or out from the street. ( or make a 75 point turn once in the garage. )

I like it very much, don't think you lose anything ride wise from the standard ( I test rode both extensively ), and think it's fine for 2 up riding.

I don't know what type of riding you like to do but the RT is a great all around bike, really perfect for any road. The LT is just too much bike for my liking and wouldn't be that much fun for everyday riding. ( My Opinion only)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey guys thanks for the responses so far.

Yes i have wondered whether the LT would be too much bike? hard to say. I will probably ride solo 70% of the time. But for longer trips we will both be going along.

My initial plan was to buy an 1150/1200 and if it didnt work out i could upgrade. But that was before i sat on the LT. The dealer here in ATL has a nice one for 6k a 2002 or a 2003 RT for 7k.

I guess mostly i wanted input from people that ride the RT, how is the passenger seat? are they comfortable? can you get armrests? the wife would be all about comfort :) if wife is comfortable then she is happy :) we are both 42. I would say i am in pretty good shape :)

has anyone taken the Ride Like A PRo course?

Grew up in Wyoming... someday i get to return :)

I am an Aircraft Mech by trade..

thanks again for all your responses!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts