BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Newbie w/ Bad 1st BWM Dealer Experience

4K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  JCabranes 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was planning to buy my 3rd Goldwing when favorable article after favorable article popped up about the K1200LT. So, I call up my local BMW dealer, ask for someone in sales, and have the following conversation:

Sales Guy: Sales
Me: Good afternoon. I was considering purchasing another Goldwing but would very much like to see the K1200LT.
Sales Guy: Uh-huh
Me: I was wondering if you happened to have a K1200 on the sales floor I could take a look at?
Sales Guy: Yeah. We close at 6. (Note: I called around 3)
Me: Great. Thanks for your time.
Sales Guy:Bye. ->click<-

Needless to say, this was not a stunning first contact with the BMW sales network. Before I go any further, may I ask you to please tell that this was an anomaly and the BMW dealers as a whole do not share this attitude.

For crying out loud, this guy didn't even have my money yet! How is he going to treat me once he does?

BTW, if someone can recommend a dealer within 50 miles of Barrington, IL, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your time!

See less See more
#3 ·
Just for giggles, call a Harley Dealer, ask same question about a Electra Glide and see if htere is any difference. I'm willing to bet there is. Seems to me, most motorcycle dealerships other than Harley have a terrible attitude. Yeat another reason Harley sells so many bikes. I have walked for half hour in a dealership, even going as far as to get on the bikes without asking, and still, no response. First time I rode in for service, was there for 15 minutes befroe found someone to speak to me. It was a 15 mninutes before opening, but doors were open and folks milling about. Grrrr. On the bright side, once I got to the service advisor, it was a great experience.

BMW is not the only one with questionable customer relations in the dealers though. But I can walk into a HD dealer and they are looking to help me. And I have never owned, no have any plans to own an HD. I just like to look at motorcycle shops.

Good luck. Maybe in person it will be better.
Rando

#4 ·
I've had good experiences with BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee. <-- that is their website, no spaces between, .com.
Good service dept, pretty small showroom, but a lot of bikes on hand.
Worth a call if you're serious about talking to another dealer.

#7 ·
It's no where close to you, but my dealer (Max BMW in Troy, NY) is a prince.

Across the street, the local Honda dealer laughed at me when I asked to test ride his Wing. Literally, laughed.

I wandered over to Max who had 3 LT's on the floor. He said pick one, and be back by 6 when we close. It was 9am.

He has been nothing but good to me since day 1. When I came back that day at 4pm, he rushed through the paperwork, mounted the GPS I purchased, and washed the bike himself for me before I left. All while processing my trade in (Harley Ultra Classic).

I would never deal with ANYONE else. His service staff has also been very nice to me.

#8 ·
bad experience

don't get me wrong i am not sticking up for this dealer and i have no experience in this area. it would be my guess that they recieve a lot of quack phone calls from people that just want to jerk there bobber a little and have no intention of buying a bike. all BMW dealers that i have come in contact with will bend over backwards to be helpful.try again in person. good luck. P.S. get a LT you,ll love it

#9 ·
Stealers

They all vary alot - I'm x-HD too, and the HD dealers have ALWAYS been first cabin in all respects - but that's all they sell Harley.

I've yet to go to a BMW only dealer - and lucky to find someone who knows BMWs vs Suzuki/Ducati/etc. - or gives a rats tail about the LT (now, crotch rockets are another story).

So, we have three in Oregon - Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Of these, only Eugene operates like my old HD dealer - and will bend over backwards to help.

Regarding service - I called around to price my 6K service, and got prices ranging from $125 to over $300 (I included Boise, ID in this list). So what's a fair price? How far do you want to ride.

BTW, I bought my LT from my HD dealer - an '06 with 7K miles, ALL options plus other stuff, for $17K - and they called me several times after the sale to make sure I was satisfied. BMW stealer, take note.

#10 ·
Saleman's bad day??

SPF0 said:
Hey everyone!

I was planning to buy my 3rd Goldwing when favorable article after favorable article popped up about the K1200LT. So, I call up my local BMW dealer, ask for someone in sales, and have the following conversation:

Me: Good afternoon. I was considering purchasing another Goldwing but would very much like to see the K1200LT.
Me: I was wondering if you happened to have a K1200 on the sales floor I could take a look at?

Needless to say, this was not a stunning first contact with the BMW sales network. Before I go any further, may I ask you to please tell that this was an anomaly and the BMW dealers as a whole do not share this attitude.

For crying out loud, this guy didn't even have my money yet! How is he going to treat me once he does?

BTW, if someone can recommend a dealer within 50 miles of Barrington, IL, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your time!

Hey, maybe the guy was just having a bad day..............wife said "I'm tired", had a wreck, got caught in a traffic jam, got a sick family member!!!!

You're right in that you should have been treated with respect. I find that sometimes that just isn't very common.

I've been in HD dealers( I used to own a HD) and have spent hours wondering around before any contact by personel. Then on other occasions I'm met at the door.

I think it has a lot to do with the managers of the places and even who they hire.

My dealer in Kansas City has been nothing but courteous to me and very helpfull. They even sent me to this board for answers to some of my questions.

This board is GREAT, in my book!

Don't take a ride on an LT unless you're prepared to buy one. It'll haunt you until you give in. LOL

Good luck!

#11 ·
Sort of reminds me of when I had a Goldwing and had radio problems(still under warranty) and was told that they did not work on Goldwings, even though they sold them. My point is that you find less than perfect dealers in any type bike. But, I would suggest you eyeball the dealer that you are talking about and give them a fair chance. The salesman like someone else said probably has tire kickers all day long. Good Luck, but as a owner of 2 Goldwings before my last 4 BMWs, the motorcycles will speak for themselves and you will want to find a dealer at least 150 miles from your house just for an excuse to ride.
Leon
05 Blue LT

SPF0 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks for your time!

#12 ·
SPF0 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks for your time!
I would imagine "Chicago BMW" is within 50 miles, hopefully they weren't the culprits. If they were go over there in person, I've had good luck on parts orders, although others have not.

#16 ·
SPF0 said:
Can (or should) I name names on this forum?
IMO; Make the visit first.
I believe the answer to your question is YES but do it under the moderated "Dealer Experience" forum. QUOTE "Dealer Experiences Love your dealer! Had a bad dealer experience? Here is the place to share your good or bad experiences you have had with your BMW dealers" UNQUOTE.

#17 ·
SPF0 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks for your time!
Unfortunately, an all too typical experience. These sales clowns act like they don't care if you buy one bike--much less several over your lifetime!

Luckily, my dealer is a very small shop that has been in the same family for over 50 years. I would drive twice as far (or more) to find sales people that act like they give a shit about business! As a matter of fact, I drove over 250 miles to buy my first bike--all because the sales manager was a straight shooter. Luckily, I only had to drive 60 to buy my Beemers.

#18 ·
My experience with our local dealer, BMW of Denver has always been first rate. The sales department and the service department bend over backwards to make you comfortable.

The sales team make every bike available to me for a test drive. Even when I bring LT in for service. "What would you like to test drive Bob", is the question I get. Man, I couldn't imagine better service from any kind of dealership. Absolutely the best I have experienced hands down !!!

Service will actually rent you a car at their expense if the service will take a while. How can you beat that??

#20 ·
SPF0 said:
They're about 5 miles from my house so I'd sure like to be friendly with them if at all possible.
Since Rockford dealer closed several of our club members that have gone to Barrington. Seems like once through the door things improve.

Best answer, if they are only five minutes away try walking through the door and see what happens.

Roy

#21 ·
CycleWerks is usually very good

SPF0 said:

Thanks for your time!
I've been dealing with CycleWerks of Barrington for over 6 years and they have always treated me right. I cannot explain the sales critter's behavior but I can definitely recommend them.

It is a small dealership and you may have gotten somebody that was not regular sales. Still, they should have at least tried to sound enthusiastic!

Go to the dealership and look around. Go upstairs and check out all the vintage restored bikes. They do restorations during the winter when business is slow and it keeps the service staff sharp.

As to other dealerships, TAG is also available (and is quite a bit closer to me) but I was thoroughly underwealmed when I saw what they had. They do carry BMW, but only as a sideline. The BMW dealership in Downers Grove closed long ago. There is still Chicago BMW but I know nothing about them and that is more than 50 miles anyway.

Good luck!

#22 ·
Spfo; I think you are a little touchy, you asked if he had a bike on the floor which he did after telling him you wanted a GW. After the 6 0clock close time remark you could have made it that evening or the next day.

P.S. I'm in Elk Grove if you would like to look at a 03.

DON

#23 ·
SPF0 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks for your time!

that is just about how my converstaion went with a honda dealer as well, I called asked if they had em on the floor they said yes, I said thanks then went there during the week and looked, in fact I think that is about how it went everywhere over the phone when buying the bmw and my HD, ok it went better with my NEW Hd, but i had a friend that worked there then.

I couldn't get the time of day from 2 bmw dealers in fl when I walked in the place, it almost kept me from buying one at all.

Tom

#24 ·
These comments sound OH! so familiar. I have yet to find a Rice Burner shop that will jump to sell you a bike and then jump even higher to service it. Harley Dealers are a dime a dozen and just about every one within a area all have the SAME price so they will try to SELL you when you walk in the door. But the BMW dealers are the only ones that have ever offered to let me test ride ANY bike they have on the floor.
I traded my HD for a BMW at a dealer that sells both on the same floor only because they gave me a great deal on the trade. Most Rice Rocket shops if they take a harley at all will only give you a lowball price for it on a trade.

However I haven't been very happy with the service department where I bought the BMW. Again they sell Harleys, Yamahas, and BMW and I think their service shop likes to work on Harleys. After all they are pretty SIMPLE to work on lol... One gets the feeling when you call and ask about getting a lowbeam headlight checked out on your 06 LT and they tell you to "drop it off" and the should be able to get to it in a day or so.. I called a different dealer and explained the same thing to him that I was heading out of town on a trip and on my walk around I noticed that the lowbeam was out. His response was stop by and we will fix it. They did took about 10 min. They spent longer trying to figure if the fuse was a warranty item or not lol...

Now I found another dealer about the same distance away and I love their service dept. I have yet to get any work performed there (will on the 14th) but they are definitely friendly, knowledgeable and will talk to you. I took the bike by the shop with a warranty issue, they agreed and said we will order the part. When it comes in we will call you and you can drop the bike off. Oh by the way when we call let us know if you will require a loaner bike! (you gotta be kidding me!) Try that one at your local HD store!

#25 ·
Gee Mike. That sounds like Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg.

I stopped in there about a year ago, and they treated me like the only customer they'd seen in a year, even though I told them I was just killing time while waiting for my wife to join me for dinner at a nearby grill. Offered me a test ride, even when I told them I hadn't ever ridden a bike with a straight shift transmission. The young lady's response was "We'll teach you."

I stopped there a couple more times just killing time, then a couple of weeks ago, I stopped to buy a pair of gloves. They sold me a bike. Well, they knew I wanted it. They sold it to my wife.

I haven't had it back for any service yet, but the service dept seems to be well run, with knowledgable people, who have been quick to answer my questions, and yep, they have loaner bikes.

In contrast we had stopped at another "local" dealer and spent 20 minutes looking at a "well known Japanese touring bike" even sitting on it, and not one salesman could muster the interest to walk over and tell me to get off the bike, must less ask if he could help me.

Morton's has impressed me.

#26 ·
I have purchased 2 bikes from CycleWerks of Barrington & have had no problems with them. Everytime I go there I'm greeted by my first name. About 2 weeks after purchasing my first bike from them in "99 they had a First Gear leather jacket I wanted. I asked if they could hold it for me & the owner said "Take it, we will settle up later". So out door I go with a $400 jacket. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Go there & I'm sure you will get a positive response from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.