BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally biting the bullet and jumping onto yet another BMW K1200 series... After going thru my share of K1200RS and GTs I'm finally getting my first LT tomorrow morning!!

So I found a nice 2002 in great conditions at a great price that I'm planing on pulling the trigger on. The thing is that it has a bit of high miles (41K+) and so I do need your advice in what to took for and what to watch out for on these LTs.

Also, what "MUST HAVE" mods should I plan for and in what order of priority??

I'd appreciate everyone's input on this!! :grin:

js

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
welcome. the search feature which I admit is not easy to use, I found this for thread you can look through, there are plenty more. scroll to the bottom of the page now you have started to post there are some there also.
hope this helps. 41 k on an 02 is very low miles which could be great or needing a of of new bits and pieces which can add up. link.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My opinion, first and foremost is lower pegs/floor boards, then mickopegs, then jpegs. I also put a Utopia back rest on it, but that doesn't help all that much. From the waist up, this bike is awesome to ride. Good maneuverability at low speeds (gotta get used to a top heavy pig), good ride suspension, good handling in the twisties. But that daggum leg locked position sux donkey gonads on trips over 200 miles. I've had 5 knee surgeries in my life, so your mileage may vary. I've got just under 10K on this bike myself, and long trips are painful. Hoping to buy dodk64 (Darius) floor boards in the next week or so and a set of mickopegs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
So I'm finally biting the bullet and jumping onto yet another BMW K1200 series... After going thru my share of K1200RS and GTs I'm finally getting my first LT tomorrow morning!!

So I found a nice 2002 in great conditions at a great price that I'm planing on pulling the trigger on. The thing is that it has a bit of high miles (41K+) and so I do need your advice in what to took for and what to watch out for on these LTs.

Also, what "MUST HAVE" mods should I plan for and in what order of priority??

I'd appreciate everyone's input on this!! :grin:

js
If it has been taken care of, 41K is nothing. It is in the final drive failure years and mileage so keep an eye on the FD for play or strange noises. First order of business would be to replace the old rubber brake lines if they are still original. They are old and deteriorated and will be leaking or bursting soon usually when you need them most. Everything else is a farkle.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I found that replacing the stock seat with a Russell Day Long saddle fixed the seating position problem on my '07 and I did not need new footrests or J-pegs. YMMV :bmw:

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
41 is nothing for a BMW!

I remember the shift linkage needs changed as well as the fuel disconnects from plastic to metal; also keep an eye on the trunk latch.

Keep an eye on the rear main seal and the final drive (as someone has already mentioned).

These would be the main items I would upgrade and keep an eye on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts