BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up Blue Blazes on Wed. evening, was able to ride it home to park in garage.

Seems promising, handles better than my K12LTC, love the exhaust notes, but all the Central Texas folks can now thank me for the three days of continuous rain - we surely need the rain, but my, what timing ...

A few questions for the experienced 16 bunch:

what is the little vinyl bag under the seat supposed to be containing? Mine is empty --
Where is the toolkit?
What are folks doing for handlebar wind protection?
Which horn replacement/upgrade is recommended?
Any suggestions for a saddle replacement? Ordered the high seat and it is not much better than the low seat I test-rode.
Crash bars not in stock, any thoughts on the BMW bars?
Saw the Japanese ones, look a bit steep on price.

Can't wait to get BB on the road but reading the books and looking at it sitting in the garage for now.

Haven't decided what to do with K12 yet, feels a bit strange to be a multi-bike owner for the first time.

phn --

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, go the first one by re-reading -- that little vinyl bag is where I am supposed to store the rider's manual.

Interesting that BMW is electronically hosting the manual as a .pdf with the K16's, but not the K12s -- go figger ...

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Hey Paul it was great to see you ride off on BB from Lone Star the other day. now to you questions.

N5PN said:
Where is the toolkit?
It's the 1 screw driver & 2 torx wrenches at the front seat mount.

N5PN said:
What are folks doing for handlebar wind protection?
-
None that I have heard of yet.
N5PN said:
Which horn replacement/upgrade is recommended?
-
Most of us went with the Stebel horn.
N5PN said:
Any suggestions for a saddle replacement? Ordered the high seat and it is not much better than the low seat I test-rode.
Man the seat is all up to you. I am using an Airhawk & have done a few 800 plus mile days with it.
Then you have Kontour , Meyer, Russell & so on & so on

N5PN said:
Crash bars not in stock, any thoughts on the BMW bars?
Saw the Japanese ones, look a bit steep on price.
I have the BMW crash bars & they look good but I'm not sure how much protection they will give. Mine were Free as part on the sale with Lone Star. I do not think I would have pay for them If I had to.
Hope to see you down the road .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Check again with your dealer. My crash bars arrived last week.

I am going with a Russell seat. For my butt it works great.

On the GT I replaced my windshield with a Cal Sci. Alot less buffetting on the arms. If the arms stay warm ..... generally so do the hands.

A couple of tools clip in by the battery. I am going to the dealer and pick up an aftermarket set of BMW tools. If your doing any work on the bike you need them.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ronk1200lt said:
On the GT I replaced my windshield with a Cal Sci. Alot less buffetting on the arms. If the arms stay warm ..... generally so do the hands.
I replaced the GT windshield that came on my GTL with the same Cal Sci and it really did eliminate the back pressure. I do get some wind through the "hole" but it flows up away from my head. Can't wait to try it out in the rain to see if I get wet.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
What, you're not supposed to ride in the rain??

Congrats on the new ride! :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I'll generally try to avoid the rain, but about two years ago on my K1200LT I rode from southern WV through Asheville, NC and finally stopped in Atlanta, GA. All in in one day. The ride was about 7 hours and I think it rained almost 6 1/2. The only thing that got wet were my hands and the ride really wasn't too bad.

I don't think that the K1600GTL is that dry! But I'm sure that I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
N5PN said:
[snip]what is the little vinyl bag under the seat supposed to be containing? Mine is empty -- Rider's Manual

Where is the toolkit? What there is, is under the seat, its a bad joke!

What are folks doing for handlebar wind protection? unknown so far, CalSci windscreen really helps for those tall in the body, but still allows shoulders and hands to catch a some wind, especially with a strong cross wind. Maybe AeroFlo or somebody will come up with something for cold weather riding

Which horn replacement/upgrade is recommended? Stebel dual horns or dual tone air horn, I think

Any suggestions for a saddle replacement? Ordered the high seat and it is not much better than the low seat I test-rode. Russell Day-Long! My wife says that its the most comfortable motorcycle seat that she's ever sat on, and I've tried many others on other bikes

Crash bars not in stock, any thoughts on the BMW bars? They look awful small, I'm waiting until the aftermarket comes up with something better.

Saw the Japanese ones, look a bit steep on price. The best I've seen so far though
[snip]
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts