BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2002 1150RT and have noticed that if the bike stalls on start-up, I have a difficult time with starting it uo in the second try. I am new to EFI and am not sure if I am doing something incorrect. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks,
Ted :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Starting with the assumption that there is no issue with the bike... lets assume it is the way you are starting it:

Here is how I do it. Turn on the key... wait for the electronics to be happy (a second or two)...hit the start button.

No throttle, no clutch, not in gear... not even sitting on the bike.

If this is what you do, you are going to need to tell us more before we can help.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Let's see......
Should be a little cool in the Northwet right now......
Are you using the enricher ?
Prolly best to write out your start procedure for us to look at...............

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. My problem seems to be after I start it up and if I don't use the fast idler enough it will stall, but the real dilemma seems to be that when I try to re-start the bike, it has a difficult time turning over. The first time I start the bike, it works well, but if it stalls for some reason (usually my mistake), it just son't fire back up right away. It seems that I have to grind on the starter for a while. Do you reset the idler again if you are starting it back up when it is warm?
Thanks, I know it seems to be a stupid question but I am not sure the best way to remedy it.
Ted

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ted,
Sounds like you may have a combination of minor issues.

Startup-
Key on. Wait for deep whirr/rumble (fuel pump priming). Wait for whizzy sound (i-ABS initialising). Warning triangle goes out on dash. ABS lamp continues flashing at 1Hz until you ride away..
Press starter and raise 'choke'/fast idle lever to fully-up. When motor starts, let idle lever fall back to its raised location stop. Do not return the fast idle to the low position until there are at least two bars (-up to four) on the temperature guage, or you are out on the highway- whichever comes first.

Whats the bikes mileage? Perhaps is overdue for a service/tune-up as this can make a massive difference. Going on your location, I assume the bikes been sitting several months.

Old fuel could be a problem, but you are probably best checking for a fully charged battery; good spark (12-24mm/0.5-1.0 inch) and clean Big Brass Air Adjustment Screws/ bypass airways in the throttle bodies.

Your second problem over not turning over properly seems to be a combination of weak battery and probably gummed-up starter. The starter gets clogged with dirt and clutch disc dust and needs cleaning, sometimes as frequently as 36k, sometimes 'never'- depends on how you use the clutch. If its cold where you are, you may want to try holding the clutch lever in during cranking- may lessen the drag on the starter somewhat.

Do a search on -
Starter overhaul
BBAS cleaning
Tuning/balancing
Checking battery
Checking spark

You should find everything yuou need...

PS- is yours a Twinspark? If so, you've a chance of a dying primary coil- but the spark check should show this up. Idle usually doesnt work so well if a primary is failing, but dirty BBASs are more common...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 04 rt that has a mild form of your start up that a I have worked around.

Bike starts fine with fast Idler held ( mine has no lock positions, just drops back to off if I release). I start it, put it in gear and go. If for some reason I happen to stall the bike it will not restart unless I hold the fast idle on. Starts up rev a few times and I am gone. This is a morning cold start situation. The rest of the day, no matter how long I let it sit even in cold weather no need for choke (fast idler). First time it happened I almost ran the battery down trying to restart. Hope this helps.
Ken Denton

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank-you to James and Ken very much for your info. Both posts have helped tremendously. Ken, I think that was the same issue I am having. I will hold the fast idler up if I stall when cold, and it should work. I, as you, almost ran the battery down trying to re-start the bike.James, I will check the battery charge and starter to see if I have a problem there. Do you know what the voltage should be on the battery if it is in good condition?
Thanks again,
Ted

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Battery Voltage is not just... Battery Voltage....

Measure the battery at rest and you should see at least 12.5 or so volts.

Then while, attempting to start,... it should show something in the 10's or so. It may be less but some old and worn out batteries will drop to 6 or less. Those need to be replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank-you. I will test the battery. The bike is 9 years old and I am not sure when it was last replaced.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Resting battery about 12.5 to 12.7V
Battery under load (cranking) not less than 10.5. Should be able to sustain cranking for several seconds without voltage dropping further. Charging voltage +/-13.5V.
At nine years old (you didnt mention mileage...) it sounds like it may be worth checking the starter and battery terminals also for corrosion- the starter is fairly exposed and needs a good smearing of copper grease on the terminals.
BMWs may seem a bit daunting at first, but the basic tech is essentially the same as any other vehicle when you get into it...

·
Registered
311 Posts
maacova said:
Bike starts fine with fast Idler held ( mine has no lock positions, just drops back to off if I release).
I want to be careful with my advice here because its been a couple of years since I owned a 2004 with the fast idle, but I don't think what you are describing is right. If I remember correctly, the fast idle has three positions: Off, fast and extra fast. The extra fast is the one that doesn't have a detent to hold it on. You flip it on with your thumb and hold it there while you hit the start button. Once its started, you let go. Let it idle until you have 2 bars of heat and then flip it down to the off position.

In short, I think its possible you have left yours in the fast idle position. Try flicking it down another notch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hold my extra fast idler up when I start the bike, but after it starts and I let the idler go to the fast (middle position), it will stall if cold. I am not sure that the idler is working properly. I need to give it some throttle to keep it from stalling when first starting up. It seems that that the middle idle position and the 1st position are not different in idle speeds. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Ted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts