BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been lurking :cool: around this site for about 2 months now. Great information can be sought after here from alot of talented people. I have bought a new to me 2003 LT (got what seams to me a good deal). The bike has 17,500 miles on it and came with no owners manual. I only had a chance to put about 100 miles on it before I stored it for the winter (great ride). I would like to have it serviced before the spring. I researched the service records on it and it only has had the 600 mile check up, 2 recall services completed,rear tire 2 times and front tire once (front & rear recently), new brakes and battery. The oil has been changed 4 times. It seams like no other fluids were changed. I have received quotes from 2 dealers and 1 BMW mechanic that operates out of his garage. I was quoted $1,100.00 $1,097.00 and $1,027.00 to change out all fluids, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter and throttle cable (seems tough to twist). Does this seem reasonable? Is there anything else I should be concerned with? I would like to learn to do some of this work myself. Maybe get in on a tech session local.
Previous ride and still own 98 GL1500.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
That quote seems resonable from what I hear on this board. I would see if you can hook up with some people around you and get a tech session and save you a boat load of money. See if it is possible to drill your weep holes so you don't have to worry about that. You will need a modified 30mm socket to do this. There are a few pictures around here if you want to make your own, also a great right up on how the weep hole procedure is done.

Have fun with the bike when you are able to get it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ironbuttwannabe said:
That quote seems resonable from what I hear on this board. I would see if you can hook up with some people around you and get a tech session and save you a boat load of money. See if it is possible to drill your weep holes so you don't have to worry about that. You will need a modified 30mm socket to do this. There are a few pictures around here if you want to make your own, also a great right up on how the weep hole procedure is done.

Have fun with the bike when you are able to get it out.
Thanks for the info. I would like to drill the weep hole when I get the chance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
When you said new brakes, did you also mean flushing the brake fluid with those new brakes? All circuits should be flushed every 4 years regardless of mileage. On your '03 you have servo assisted and linked abs brakes. They can build up condensation in the lines. BMW use to say every 2 years but recently updated it to 4 years. That would have been last year for you if it was never done...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
One of the first accessories I bought was a service manual.
It explains the simplest to the most complicated procedures.

It's not cheap, but the payback period is one service interval!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
588 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the update on the brake fluid change. My 2006 manual says annually, which I thought was too often. At 2 years my fluid still looks like new, but was thinking about changing it. Where did you learn it has been increased to 4 years? How about the clutch fluid? My manual says every 2 years and it still looks new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rglassma said:
When you said new brakes, did you also mean flushing the brake fluid with those new brakes? All circuits should be flushed every 4 years regardless of mileage. On your '03 you have servo assisted and linked abs brakes. They can build up condensation in the lines. BMW use to say every 2 years but recently updated it to 4 years. That would have been last year for you if it was never done...
I do not believe the fluid was changed when the brakes were done. I have also been looking into the service manual and cd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Changing gearbox oil may be a bit challenging. Engine oils is fairly easy. rear drive oil is very easy to change. I've done all these, but would not suggest to someone with no mechanical experience.
BJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information. The first time around I am going to have a dealer do the changing of all fluids and throttle cable. While they have it apart I'll have them do a look around and check for any possible work needed. :confused: I am going to purchase a manual on the bike. I enjoy learning and working on my vehicles to a certain point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Manual and Video

I just went thru similar issues re manuals, etc. cause I got a 2001 LT in October 2007 (after 23 years on a Yahama Venture). I found two excellent sources of technical information. First are the Paul Sayegh video tapes. Cover all the basics, oil changes, tupperware removal, brakes, etc. They are excellent. Paul has a website you can get them from. Second is a factory manual, which from the Dealer is $$ but you can get them from eBay (CD, not paper copy) for about $3 - $6. Probably illegal copy though. Also, I highly recommend the CLYMER book on the BMW LT. I just picked one up, based on info I got from this site, and it is really excellent. Will list for about $50 but you can usually get it discounted for about $30 or so. Finally look at the Hall of Wisdon on this site for technical information. And the articles (Oil Changing 101 for example) on this site. Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
TimVipond said:
Bob,

Thanks for the update on the brake fluid change. My 2006 manual says annually, which I thought was too often. At 2 years my fluid still looks like new, but was thinking about changing it. Where did you learn it has been increased to 4 years? How about the clutch fluid? My manual says every 2 years and it still looks new.
I wouldn't want to leave it 4 years. As you may know, brake fluid is hygroscopic and you could find that out when you need your brakes the most. The water boils under pressure, makes steam, no brakes. :wow:

If the brake system is tested after the crash, there will appear to be no fault with it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top