BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna change the oil on my 2000 K 1200LT this weekend. Went to the dealer and the filter costs $16.00!

Can anyone give me a part # from Wal Mart or Autozone for the filter. Surely it will be cheaper than the one from the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
zachandjake said:
Gonna change the oil on my 2000 K 1200LT this weekend. Went to the dealer and the filter costs $16.00!

Can anyone give me a part # from Wal Mart or Autozone for the filter. Surely it will be cheaper than the one from the dealer.

Thanks!
I'd replace your _second_ filter with something cheaper. :p

$16 is cheap, compared to a n00b mistake on a new motor.

·
Registered
681 Posts
walmart....(Supertech)ST3614-$2.98 (made by champion)
Fram PH6063

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
any 3614 will do

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
zachandjake said:

Thanks!
it is cheaper still if you just shake it out, wash in gas and don't replace it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
it is cheaper still if you just shake it out, wash in gas and don't replace it!:rolleyes:
Coupla weeks ago, I bought a Mobil1-102 oil filter at Autozone. If you use the Mobil1 filter, you should peel off the sticker AND use some goo-gone or similar to remove the adhesive residue. Be aware tho - the Mobil1 filter wuz right at 14 bones out the door. Bosch filter that Beemerboneyard sells might be less, and a Purolator filter (ML16825 I think) is also less expensive.

For my next fluid changes, I'm going back to Am Soil filters and fluids - been using them for 11 years, butt lost my dealer this year and am in the process of lining up another.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Purolator 10241
Fram 3614
........basically a Toyota oil filter.

The Bosch filters are made by Purolator.

Any 80mm filter with a relief valve and 3/4" - 16 threads.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Bosch 72161 from www.rockauto.com for $3.36 each...I order a dozen at a time and use them in my Toyota Tundra, K1200LTE, and R1200RT

Peel the sticker before using in the LT.

And YES the BMW Filter wrench fits them.

Ron

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^Thats a great deal! Is this where beemerboneyard gets their supply? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
795 Posts
K&N KN-163 is what I use on both my K1200LT and R1200C. It's nice because it has the 17mm nut on the bottom so I don't need to use the filter wrench, just any old socket.

Give yourself time, you will become immune to the sticker shock. Just pay the $16 for the BMW filter, you will find that is probably the cheapest thing you can get at the parts counter. I just went over to buy a machine screw for the seat on my R1200C that vibrated off and got left somewhere on the road and it was $16 for a screw and washer!

·
Registered
228 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Bosch 72161 from www.rockauto.com for $3.36 each...I order a dozen at a time and use them in my Toyota Tundra, K1200LTE, and R1200RT

Peel the sticker before using in the LT.

And YES the BMW Filter wrench fits them.

Ron
That's strange..the Bosh Auto Zone sold me is 3330 for I think just under 5 bucks..seem fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
While just checking on filters I ran across this..for what its worth.

Most modern motorcycles use the filter I call type [5], so this is the filter where I give you the most options. Personally, I always use Purolator Pure One PL14610s, which, along with the Mobil-1 M1-110 is clearly the best oil filter available. A small step down are the Bosch and SuperTech filters. These filters all have advanced filter media which is clearly superior to anything else on the market. The SuperTech filters, at $2 each, are a real steal. The ****** filters also have the advanced media, but they only have a very few square inches of it. Because of my fear that these can become clogged up too easily, I cannot recommend them. The remaining filters all have "normal" media, and have significantly poorer performance in capturing particles. I recommend you avoid Fram and Pennzoil filters.

link
Kinda interesting reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just did first oil change on 09 LT, Autozone picked up Mobil 1 filter, Mobil 1 oil, BMW Riverside for o ring and crush washer. A&S for filter wrench. Piece of cake, just don't over think this simple process. Old oil out , filter change , new oil in , tighten up appropriate nuts bols fittings, leak check, go riding. If your riding a BMW and your worried about the cost of things maybe you should try another brand of bike. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
PaulEHowe said:
If your riding a BMW and your worried about the cost of things maybe you should try another brand of bike. :rolleyes:
Yeah, like Yamaha. I had an FZ-6 back in 2006. Yamaha dealer wanted $18.00 for the oil filter back then! :eek:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lee510 said:
Yeah, like Yamaha. I had an FZ-6 back in 2006. Yamaha dealer wanted $18.00 for the oil filter back then! :eek:
Why don't you list the Yamaha in your signature??

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
LTFan said:
Why don't you list the Yamaha in your signature??
Lee's probably owned too many bikes to list them all! Only listed the ones's I've owned since 2000...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts